SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phil_m

less than 50% pollination, suspect nitrogen excess: how to remedy

phil_m
14 years ago

I believe I have created a nitrogen excess in my garden soil. Only a bit less than half of the flowers on my tomato plants have set fruit. What can I do to remedy this situation this season?

This is my first experience gardening, and I kind of like to make things complicated.

This year, I gained access to a garden plot that was formerly used by a previous tenant. I tested the soil using a do-it-yourself kit and found that phosphorous and potash levels were acceptable, but that nitrogen was completely depleted (re-tested this to make sure I didn't arrive at this conclusion mistakenly). I sprinkled some 10-3-1 bat guano on the surface and topped with an inch or two of compost.

On June 1, I planted six indeterminate tomato plants (Lemon Boy, Anna Russian [x2], Principe Borghese, Stupice, and Early Girl), spaced 18" apart, in a trench about 8" wide and 12" deep. I soaked the trench with 5 gallons of bat guano tea made using the instructions for "soil drench" usage listed on the guano box. The plants, from several local nurseries, were each about 24" tall, in gallon containers. I soaked each container with a mycorrhizoidal inoculant, situated the plants horizontally with about 18" of the plants underground, filled the trench with a combination of the removed soil and more compost, added a layer of newspaper for mulch, and another couple inches of compost to hold it down, with some ridges around the trench to allow for easy watering. I water deeply (garden hose on half-strength soaking the trench for 10 - 20 minutes) every three to five days. I added a weak solution of liquefied kelp a few days and a few weeks after transplanting.

The plants have grown beautifully. I have pruned each to two to four vines, pinching all suckers since, and staked them to bamboo poles. After a rough start (I mistakenly pruned all the growing tips from the Principe Borghese and accidentally broke the top half of the Stupice off), the Anna Russians and the Stupice are almost 6' tall, and the Lemon Boy about 4', all with lush, dark green leaves. The PB -- the one I over-pruned -- developed shockingly large leaves and thick branches (nearly 1" in diameter in some places) while it stayed about 24" tall, then a couple weeks ago, grew multiple suckers (I haven't pruned it any more; I'm just going to let it do its thing and try to keep it from crowding into its neighbors) and started growing up again.

These varieties range from 55 to 75 days to maturity. I'm almost to 60 days, and none of the fruit has begun to ripen. Only a bit less than half the flowers set fruit. We've only had a few nights that dipped down near 55 degrees. All signs point to my having an excessive amount of nitrogen in the soil. I have not re-tested it.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for recovering from what seems to have been an overreaction to the initial low level of nitrogen.

Comments (18)