SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tangodoreen

multiple problems with New Year rose

tangodoreen
12 years ago

[pictures] - http://photobucket.com/newyearrose

{{gwi:255236}}

I have a New Year rose that has just been deteriorating slowly. I am pretty sure it has been overfed & probably under a little stress from being transplanted to a larger pot, but it just looks so unhealthy that I think there is more to it. My goal is to ground it when it is healthy but I am nervous to mess with it in any way now, and looking for advice before I fungicide, prune more, etc.

There is some leaf drop, yellowing leaves & what looks like cankering on stalks. There is brown 'burn' on leaf edges but I don't think it is sunburn (I'm pretty sure it is water/feed related). At first I thought it was over-watered, so I lightened up on that but it just kept getting worse. It is well mulched, plenty of sun.

What I have noticed just recently is tiny brown bumps appearing on one or two of the larger stalks. Some of the thorns have fallen off leaving little plates. Anything pruned near the base just seemed to spread the dark 'dead wood' but the clipped edges on top where the stalks seem healthy just look clean & perfectly white. It is as if the rose is sickly from the basal upwards & spreading.

Of course I am new to roses (thus the overfeeding / doubt about watering), so it may be something completely different. Please help me identify what it may be & how I can get it healthy again.

If I need anymore pics up, let me know, and I'll keep everyone posted on its progress. I pruned some wilting (but still gorgeous) yellow-coral blooms off of it when I got it & I am so anxious to see some fresh ones come in this season!

Comments (8)