SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dregae

New Roses on the market this year...opinions?!?

I was looking at the "Roses are plants too" blog and saw the new roses offered up by Star Roses, and I was rather taken by "Icecap" and "Pretty in Pink Eden". I rarely ever succumb to the latest and greatest, but that pretty in pink eden is rather fetching. What do you all think?

grace e

Comments (31)

• kingcobbtx7b
    9 years ago

I picked up Pink Eden. It is starting to grow here in texas. Not much info about it yet.

• dregae (IN, zone 6b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a link to the article with pictures forgot to include it earlier.

http://www.finegardening.com/four-new-roses-star-roses-plants?tid=143

• Related Discussions

Would you take chance on CandyLand Climber? new rose

Q

Comments (20)
    Though this is an old post....thought I would chime in. I bought one 2 years ago, didnt get around to planting it and it stayed near a flower bed of elephant ears where it got bright dappled sun. It put roots outside the pot and bloomed, put on new growth. I watered it from time to time. This winter I finally put it in the ground - it will get great sun much of the day. It is a big rose now, lots of healthy canes, and I look forward to spring when I know it will do great. How much it will bloom, I dont know but I love the color of the blooms I saw and think this will be an excellent climber. Judith
    ...See More

New house, New garden, New roses..what's new?

Q

Comments (33)
    Kristi, just thought I should mention the Kordes perfume-fest Parole, aka Buxom Beauty. Was introduced to the USA in 2008, so it may have gone under your radar. Apart from its names (Jailbait/Dumpling - yeah, good work there, Kordes Marketing Dept), this deep cerise pink rose is pretty near perfect - no spray requirements, beautiful high-centred flowers with substantial petals (HUGE blooms in cooler weather), nicely productive with a fragrance that is really intoxicating and waft-y, richly sweet but sophisticated. No cold cream or myrrh. And it cuts like a dream. I'm up to six of these. They're my battery hens for vase filling. Just sayin'.
    ...See More

Market stall rose

Q

Comments (5)
    Well I thought it was a long shot, but it doesn't really matter. It is a rose I am very glad to have found. Organic tosca, My garden is coming along very slowly. At the moment I am building a new dry stone wall. It is not worth photographing yet. This is a very poor photo of the first little border I have planted. Notice I have started planting before the paths are laid!!! Daisy
    ...See More

Advice on getting a new shrub rose.

Q

Comments (12)
    Ok, more info! I am in the hot and humid climate of central, Alabama, Birmingham to be exact, Zone 7b. Boncrow, 66, I have 2 Marie Pavies planted in the front of this bed, and they do great, they are bushy, and the flowers do not all nod East. I love the Marie Pavies, but I want something bigger to go behind them. Sorry for my ignorance, but what does SDLM stand for? The site gets full sun. All my hybrid teas that are in another bed in my front yard also get 8 hours of full sun and tend to nod East as well. I guess because the sun hits them first from that side, but it doesn't bother me as much. The heritage blooms face a fence--the hybrid tea bed I can walk around and see the blooms from all sides. My grandifloras in that front bed seem to bloom more evenly on all sides. I was also contemplating a Sally Holmes for the shub in back-- don't know if she is fragrant or not. Jackie, hope I have given enough info. Thanks to you both.
    ...See More
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

I think the pink eden is gorgeous ! I had planned on ordering it but decided to see if I found it locally instead . I will admit I fall for the latest and greatest just like that ! The icecap also looks nice and so does peachy keen.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

I have at lot of new on the market roses coming this year. Ordered a lot of them last year also. This is largely because of all the new disease resistant roses being introduced. I never report on a rose in it's first year. Should be able too report on last years roses when the season gets going. Looking forward to Icecap growing here as it looks as though it's a double form of White Out. White Out is one of the few roses not bothered by japanese beetle's.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

PattyW. Where do you live??? I'm in Decatur!!

9 years ago

I'm in La Salle, glad to meet you!

• kingcobbtx7b
    9 years ago

I also have Albrighton Rambler, though technically that is just new here in the states. Still not a lot of info about it out there.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

Patty W.

I am the American Rose Societies Question And Answer Man, so if you have any questions ask me! No one from California can tell you how to grow roses in Illinois! People mean well, but I answer questions from all over the World. The first thing i do is tell them to look for local help. Just because a rose grows good in one place doesn't mean it will do good in another. There are roses that will grow well in the Pacific region, but will not grow in our area!

I am the President of the Stephen Decatur Rose Society Peoria is the closest to you.

9 years ago

Oh my goodness, what a gracious offer. I've only just began to add roses again. RRD hit very hard here some years back. It was hard to go thru but things happen. Yes I'm up to date on everything rrd. I also grow own root and no spray now. So shall I say what the mites didn't get the shovel did. A new era of gardening began.

Having traveled out west, the south and south east really gave me the best perspective on garden advise. Amazing soil and climate diversity. Thank you so much. Patty

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

Even you get RRD up there??? I have seen it all over Central Illinois. It is getting bad because people don't know what it is!!!!!! It will affect Knockouts for some reason. So Bill Radler's rose Knockout is getting KO!

9 years ago

I rather feel sorry for KOs,it's really no more susceptible to rrd than any other rose. There are so many KOs that it increases their chance of a mite dropping on them. Plus a lot are grown by people who aren't out there monitoring their roses. With fast removal and proper disposal they could save the other bushes and help prevent the spread of rrd for every one.

Every time the wind blows strongly from the south I think about it and hope for the best.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

Patty,

I have 500 roses! I'd see it before I see it other places. I've had it, 4 times in 7 years. Not much!

But I go to a Doctors appointment and in a big planting, half of them have it! Go to another town and there it is, and to another and there it is! And it's on Knockouts! I haven't figured it out. I have it on a miniature roses, on their own roots. They claim it's a Multiflora thing. I will say the fence rows of it are all gone. I've seen Multiflora in the woods and it's fine. Go to a planting of roses and there it is!. The faster the better in removal of that plant! Integrated Pest Management is the key. Walk you plants daily. IF you see anything funny cover it with a black plastic bag and dig it up. Live mites can spread on a windy day! That's how we get them anyway. They are mites, about the size of a speck of dust!

9 years ago

First I'd like to apologize to Grace e as the topic has drifted away from the question asked. I'd love to here anyones experience with newer roses. Especially with regard to disease resistance and bloom. Can hardly wait for spring and the roses coming. Never mentioned that I have Icecap coming. Since it was just released this year their's not any good information on this rose. Since I'm fairly sure that this well be a good rose for me I ordered three.

Pink Eden certainly looks good. For me though I no longer grow climbing roses with the rrd pressure in this area. It just takes so long to get a good climber established. The extra height increases the chance of a mite dropping on it. So sad!

• dregae (IN, zone 6b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please don't apologize!!! :-). I've enjoyed reading everything. I've seen the same thing with KOs here. If there is a stand of them at least one with have it. It's sad because you know it will spread. I've had it three times, I watch my roses very carefully and at the first sign of anything strange the whole cane gets cut back to the ground and destroyed. It's worked for me.

9 years ago

dregae, I was able to save one bush. I looked carefully one night while dunking jbs and everything was fine. The next morning you could see the questionable branch from the house window. I did the same thing put a bag on it cut it as far down as possible. Most likely since it was caught right away the rose has remained healthy. Must have checked that rose ten times a day for the rest of the year.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

Patty,

I'm afraid you are wrong. Once RRD is in the plant, it's all the way through the plant down to the roots. That is the reason to be careful and remove all the roots!

9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Being wrong here is always a possibility lol. It does take a wee bit of time for the infection to travel down the cane and into the roots. That cane was infected at the top where there was a slight chance of saving the rose. Agree once it's in the roots there's nothing you can do to save the rose.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

So Patty,

Have you had any classes on RRD??? I have! Once it's inside the plant it's in there. How fast does medicine go through our bodies

As damaging as RRD is I would not mess around with it! Maybe you have't seen entire plantings of roses wiped out by RRD. I have! At the University Of Illinois. Those so called professional folks did't know what it was. It took a few of my members to see it and came and got me to look at it. It was the worst seen on roses I have seen. They removed them the next day!!

In the 40 years I've been growing roses, this is the first thing that has me concerned !

• dregae (IN, zone 6b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There's no need to be condescending. I think we can all agree that we don't know everything about RRD yet. Perhaps the success we've had is a fluke or perhaps another factor that hasn't been fully researched yet. An interesting theory might be to compare the slight case my bushes had of it to a person getting a vaccine, either way comparing a bush to a human being with a heart pumping blood constantly kinda ruins the medicine metaphor. Medicine in a human would of course get transmited quickly but plants don't really work quite the same as us so who knows. Like i said we don't know everything yet about RRD if we did it wouldn't be a problem anymore. I do know though beyond a shadow of a doubt that RRD was the problem with my plants it wasn't a misdiagnosis. Either way as of now what I did has been successful for me. Maybe those plants will show signs of it this year. I will certainly keep a careful eye on them and if they show anymore signs if it I will not hesitate to destroy the bush.

• dregae (IN, zone 6b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One might also point out that we can all get a disease. It might kill some of us while others would recover with no explanation.

9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes It's so sad but I've had extensive experience with rrd. The first three years brought the greatest losses not much since then. I will add that since then there has been a lot of space between my roses. None are backed up against a place that facilitates mites dropping. What my roses had could not be mistaken for anything but rrd. All were removed very carefully and properly disposed of. I have read every inch of Anne's e-book and every paper published. I do continually check for up dates. So sad as well that it took this long for public admission that there's a problem. In fact Ann is the only reason I was able to figure out what was wrong and for that I'm ever so grateful. Back when I was removing roses papers were still on line singing the praises the new disease that may solve the problem of wild multiflora. I can still not believe that the rose industry did not mass a fight way back when this may have been stopped.

May I apologize for my lack of paragraphs but I'm not the greatest of writers (obviously).

I promise that I would never endanger anyones roses let alone mine. This rose cane was a very recent infection and high up on the cane. The rest of the bush was fine. This was my first chance to try cutting off the cane. Had any more symptoms appeared the rose would have been removed. It's been 3 years now and the rose remains healthy as a race horse. Patty

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

One big problem we have is no Public Education. People don't know what it is and don't care.

As long as the plants are affected they will infect others. That is why I look at roses everywhere I go. I talked to a Landscape Company too that cares for plants all over town. It might be time to call the Newspaper and put an article in about RRD!!

. The worst area of the Country is below the Mason Dixon line. Down. South is is very Severe.

I have seen RRD in my yard on own root roses. It is supposed to be a Multiflora Disease. Well it's moved past that now. I have never seen it on Old Garden Roses. It has hit my minis.

The mite injects a virus into the plant and it spreads through the out the plant.

Looking at you plants daily and removing a diseased plant quickly is our only defense

9 years ago

Found it - Rosa Multiflora is banned in Connecticut, New Hampshire and Rhode Island for sale or distribution. Root stock was not mentioned. Banned for invasive plant habit.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    9 years ago

RRD can strike any rose. I had it on my Reve d'Or and Ballerina, so GRs are not immune. Constant vigilance and rouging out infected roses at the first sign can prevent a widespread outbreak in your garden.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    9 years ago

I have also cut a branch out and saved a rose. I noticed some aberrant growth on the tip of a cane and removed that cane immediately. The rose has not shown any other signs of RRD. So it is possible. But it's also a risk. If you are vigilant, and you catch it right away, you may be able to save a rose.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

I don't want to jinx myself but I have not encountered RRD yet on any of my plants. I don't think we get up here in Canada according to some websites. I could be wrong. I don't get too many mildew either but BS is a problem, it can be tolerated but it still is. However, my biggest problem since last year is Japanese Beetles!!

Problems aside, thanks for the mention of Pink Eden. If I see it I will definitely get this one. I planted Eden last year and I really like the rose. Thanks again.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

Buford,

I'm afraid your rose will be dead in the space of two years, no matter what you cut off. The mite spreads a virus. Once in the plant, it's there. No sense infecting other roses you have, get rid of it now! You are in the severe area and RRD is wiping out whole plantings on roses.

Sorry!

9 years ago

My last on the subject before bowing out (I hope). This is for those who might now be throughly confused. When a rrd infected mite or mites land on your rose they do so to feed and reproduce. Mites prefer to feed on tender plant tissue and buds. The initial landing places become systematic for rrd. While feeding the virus enters the plants phloem system. It must then travel down thru the phloem where it enters the crown and roots. At this point the virus is transported back up thru out the rest of the plant.

There is a 3rd alternative to try. Removing the entire plant down to the crown is what you would normally do. Bagging or burning the plant material first to hopefully eliminate the mite. Then you return to dig the crown and roots. These would contain infection but no mites.

So if you should think that you caught the rrd at it's first sign and it was out at the end of a cane. You might stop before removing crown and roots. You have already done the best you can to eliminate the mite. You could wait to see what grows back. If crown and roots are rrd infected new grow will be symptomatic. You will see rrd growth. At that time get it out of there. If the virus had not reached the crown or roots a nice healthy rose bush will regrow. However there is always a remote chance that a new mite could land again. Then plants would then again become infected.

Hope I was understandable. And please know this is my best understanding of this disease. I do not believe I'm 100% correct. But I do believe I'm doing the best I can which the information that I've been able to gather. Good luck to all.

• dregae (IN, zone 6b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think that was very concise explanation Patty. I've often wondered if RRD is more of an infection and not a virus comparable to say gangrene. If the infected cane is removed before the infection can spread you stand a chance of keeping your plant alive and healthy. It would be interesting to see some controlled studies done on the possibility.

This thread sure didn't turn out the way I thought it would but that's certainly okay.

Grace e

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

Please go online and look up RRD. I had a class with DR. Mark Windham from the University of Tennessee. He said to not mess around with a plant, get rid of it. RRD can wipe roses out quickly. He also said when the rose has it in it it will be dead in two years.

RRD is nothing to mess around with!!/

Patty, you are correct!!!!!!!!!!!

9 years ago

Grace e - Personally I'd rather talk roses. I also would like to see some controlled studies. I did read today that some have begun. No published paper yet that I could fined.