SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knash6

New house, New garden, New roses..what's new?

knash6
11 years ago

Hi!

After having to abandon my garden with 200+ roses a few years ago, and renting for 5 years, I finally have a home I own so I can plant until my heart's content. I have recently ordered some of my favorites ,but I am looking for the new varieties that I just should not be able to be without. :)

So far I have the following:

Pink Promise

Rouge Royale

Peter Mayle (all time fav)

Bolero

Red Eden

Zeffy

Abe Darby

Teasing Ga.

Frederick Mistral

Radio Times

Crown Princess Margarite

Varies Knockouts and double knockouts.

an inherited (with the house) Mr. Lincoln or Chrysler Imperial

inherited Double Delight

inherited Dr. Huey (getting the ax soon)

I have room and full sun!!! So I would love some suggestions! I prefer heavily fragant varieties. :)

Thanks!

Kristi

Comments (33)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

The only one I have on your list is Double Delight and that's a beautiful and fragrant rose. Other ones I have and love particularly for fragrance are Pope John Paul II, Garden Party, Angel Face, Dick Clark and Julia Child. Then there are the David Austin's, most of which are fragrant. I have Golden Celebration and Graham Thomas. GC has the stronger fragrance. And of course my OGRs are very fragrant, Reine des Violets, Rose de Rescht and Honorine de Brabant.

• lesmc
    11 years ago

Congratulations on your new home! I might also suggest Pope Paul II, Golden Celebration, Cherry Parfait and Tiffany. These are a few roses that I just love. Your list is outstanding.I have several on your list, Bolero,Crown Princess,Peter Mayle,Pink Promise and Abe. Love each of these. Congrats again and have fun!! You will be so busy. Lesley

• Related Discussions

New House, New Garden, New to Heirlooms!

Q

Comments (7)
    Good luck! I was in your position a year ago, I had moved into my first house and created my first vegetable garden. I'm in a very different zone (6A) and my season is winding down, but I think I had a very successful summer with my first garden, given that it was very cool and rainy for all of June and July. Here is what I did, for what it's worth. I had the area tilled where I wanted to create a garden (it was grass). I then raked out all the big clumps of grass left behind, and added them to my new compost bin. I then had 2 yards of topsoil and 2 yards of compost delivered (my garden is 16'x16'). I think adding the topsoil and compost really added the nutrients needed and eliminated any grass re-growing in the area. But, after finding this site, I realize a soil test would have been a good idea. After I planted, I mulched with salt hay to keep down any weeds (make sure if you use straw you ask if there are any seeds in the straw). I hope this information helps in some way! Good luck and above all, have fun! Use this site often for advice, I do and there are many people with years of experience and knowledge who have helped guide me through my first year as a gardener! p.s. consider creating a compost bin, if you haven't already, you can create your own garden fertilizer with it. I got mine through the town public works department for a very reasonable price
    ...See More

New house, new garden

Q

Comments (16)
    Forsythia here bloom at the same time my daffodils bloom. Its very pretty early spring in my yard with all of the yellow. BTW to me it looks like a forsythia. I just took a look at my neighbors which is growing over the fence to compare. Looks dead on to what she has.
    ...See More

New house, new garden

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks. Everything's rocking now. I planted 8 varieties of lettuce thinking I'd lose a bunch to summertime bolting. Only my Bibbs bolted so I'm going to have 10 grocery bags of lettuce lettuce at about the same time - so all you gardenweb'ers come grab a bag ;) Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 Summer Lettuce Showdown
    ...See More

New house, new garden 3, last for the day!

Q

Comments (7)
    Artemisia. Crush some leaves and can smell mum-like odor. I have them taking over. Its white rhizomes will sprout anywhere you leave them. Young shoots are edible and medicinal.
    ...See More
  • knash6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I will look them up! I have had Graham Thomas, Golden Celebration and Angel Face before. I had many of the OGRs as well. :) I am particularly fond of the Romanticas and Austins.

Kristi

• knash6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Leslie,

That is 2 suggestions for Pope John PaulII must look into this. :) Don't you just love Peter Mayle? The most amazing rose, I just love it. :)

Keep them coming please, if you could only grow one rose what would it be?

Kristi

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    11 years ago

Kristi - welcome back! Good to see you here. :-)
    I can't really make good suggestions seeing as how we are in such different areas of the country, but if I lived in a place warm enough to grow Frederic Mistral, I would do so. I tried here, I really did, but FM does not take kindly to being cut back to the ground in spring. But oh, my, I can still recall what a very fragrant gentleman he was!
    Congratulations on your new home and have fun planting.
    Anne

• knash6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Anne...it is great to see you too!! Frederic is amazing, he get's big here and is planted in a not so favorable spot. I need to transplant him soon. I do love the intoxicating smell of him. ;)

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

I grow several HT's that have a great scent in my N.GA garden. Louise Estes is a good one. Falling in Love is a nice surprise. Royal Amethyst does good up here. I think Peace smells good. Gold Medal, Tineke are a couple of others.

• zeffyrose
    11 years ago

So nice to see you Kristi----happy to hear about your new home----You really deserve it---are you in the same area as your other home

I see you have the most important rose---(Zeffy)---LOL

I really like The MacCartney---it is very fragrant and very carefree---

I seem to remember seeing a beautiful white rose on an arbor in you other home---Can't remember the name----

Good luck and happiness in your new setting--

Florence

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

For an exquisite rose with a strong, lovely scent, try Austin's Evelyn. I also love the scent and look of Brother Cadfael and Jude the Obscure. They both get very large (as in 10 feet tall) for me. They are great, trouble free roses. Did you know that The MacCartney Rose is a parent of Frederic Mistral? It doesn't surprise me that they both smell good. Diane

• flaurabunda
    11 years ago

Jude is great for its unique grapefruit scent.
    Garden Party is awesomely powerful.
    Tahitian Sunset is also very strong, and licorice-scented. I love it when you can pick out a unique flavor as you pass from rose to rose.
    Other 'strong' scented roses I have are Double Delight, Secret, Paradise, and Paradise Found.

Of the ones I listed, Tahitian Sunset never gets blackspot. The others are all a bit iffy, but pretty great with an ounce of prevention.

• rosetom
    11 years ago

I agree with many of these - Garden Party is one of my all-time favorites. It can put out saucer-sized blooms, but I'm not sure I've noticed a strong fragrance with it. Nor have I noticed a fragrance with Gold Medal, either, but it's the king of flushes in my yard - up to 60 or more in full swing, and 8 ft tall by September. Secret is nice, but here in Georgia, I can't keep the thrips off of it.

I agree that Peace has a wonderful scent, if not very powerful. I would not be without one.

Fragrant Cloud and Crimson Glory haven't been mentioned - both are super-fragrant. At least in my yard, I would put Crimson Glory's fragrance up against any rose. The stems are short and the blooms will pop fast, but the petal substance is un-equaled, the very definition of velvet. Some disadvantages, but the scent makes up for all of it, IMHO. Fragrant Cloud's bush is kind of a runty thing, but the blooms are truly exhibition form and reflex almost as nice as Touch Of Class.

Miss All-American Beauty (Maria Callas) grows very strong here and is wonderfully fragrant. It also has wonderful exhibition form, but the bush is sort of all-over. As others have mentioned, The McCartney Rose is very fragrant and is a monster bush in Georgia that will survive without spraying. I just wish the blooms would last longer.

Fragrant Plum is another with powerful fragrance that will grow like a weed in Georgia and loves the heat.

Oklahoma is very nice with fragrance, but has some disadvantages. Its blooms will purple and easily ball. It also has fairly weak stems, even though the bush is a powerful one.

Dolly Parton is powerfully fragrant and the bush is very strong and disease-resistant. It also loves the heat. The blooms have wonderful exhibition form, but blow open within a days time, almost. You have to harvest them fast if you want to preserve the form. Even so, the blooms last fairly long, even in the heat. It's a very good rose for Georgia.

Finally, Tiffany is one of the all-time classics, is very disease-resistant, despite being a classic "modern" rose, blooms like a fool in single bud flushes on top of very long stems, and has perfect exhibition form. The bush is very strong and has great form. About the only disadvantage is that the thrips will get to it when they're really bad (which is most of the time around here, unfortunately).

• anntn6b
    11 years ago

To the above lists, did you know that there's now a pink sport of Traviata (called Pink Traviata)? Roses Unlimited had it on their list several months ago.

Good to read you again.

For those not here back then, Kristi was the master enabler of Rouge Royale.

• dove_song
    11 years ago

Lol, Ann, you betcha, how could we ever forget Kristi's Rouge Royale!!! Kristi, Maddi is 14 years old?!?! Wow, how time flies when your having fun. Wishing you two the bestest ever!!! :)

Debbie

• knash6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So many suggested roses I have had in the past...I guess oldies are always the goodies right? I really appreciate the detailed responses. :)

Yes, Anne..you called me out. :) I will never lose that title will I? lol As you may notice, it is still in my garden and always will be. :) To those looking for it, Roses Unlimited has it! I may need to dig out my old photographs...lol

Debbie, I can hardly believe it myself. Kids grow, and times change, but I am in a very very good place now. :)

Off to look at suggested roses!! :)

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

Another rose I almost forgot about is Remember Me. The blooms aren't "huge" but the color is to die for and it smells really good. Check it out.

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

If you have an "or" on Mr. Lincoln or Chrysler Imperial, if it's not the latter, Chrysler Imperial is a must have. Heirloom and Stainless Steel as well for health, beauty and amazing fragrance. My Mary Rose is wonderfully fragrant and a gorgeous, healthy bush. Scentimental is just preparing her first flush for me. I think she's going to be awesome.

• knash6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Harmonyp,

I had Chrysler Imperial at my old house and it looks and smells just like it, the bush has been neglected though,so I have to get it healthy and see. That is what I am hoping for. :) I also had Heirloom and Stainless Steele. Those are amazing, you are coorect. This unknown red I am speaking of threw off a dark purple bloom on one cane that was so beautiful. I have another unknown that is true red with a white reverse. I know I had this rose in the past, but the name escapes me now. It is in the front yard by itself surrounded by grass. Need to move it as well.

Ken, looking up remember me now...sounds like a good one.

• betsyw
    11 years ago

And no one has mentioned FIREFIGHTER??? Gotta say, this red (aka Hacienda, pat. Oradel) is by far THE most perfume-packed rose I've ever had. Just broadcasts fragrance like a transmitter tower. Never stops, outside, inside, day, night. Cuts well, too; can be cut when just opening, and will continue to unfurl naturally in the vase. Healthy plant, needs some afternoon shade from our blazing Sydney summer sun. Lotsa,lotsa water for this one.

Don't take my word for it, Kristi - just check out the other comments on GW.I acquired it on recommendations from member ehre, and now I recommend those recommendations ;=)

When all is said and done, though, my heart (nose) still belongs to Fragrant Cloud and Valencia.

• knash6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahhh...sounds like my kind of rose betsy! That is Peter Mayle for me. I have a bloom I took to work 2 weeks ago, over the last weekend my office was locked up with that one bloom...walked in Monday morning and the fragrance was overwhelming..in a good way. :) Now that it is clearly dead, still in the vase, petals wilted and dried it still STILL powerfully fragrant. Love that rose. Need to look for Firefighter for sure.

Kristi

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Could your red with the white reverse be Love?

• knash6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's it Seil! That is the name I've been trying to remember, problem is, this was is far more fragrant than the "love" I used to have. The blooms are a bit larger too. But maybe that is it.

Thanks!

Kristi

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Rosie O'Donnell? Larger bloomed with fragrance.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    11 years ago

Ginger Hill is one of my favorite fragrant roses!

• catsrose
    11 years ago

If I were you, I'd just take a day trip to Roses Unlimited and spend!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    11 years ago

Crimson Glory for sure! Also Pope Paul II, Alec's Red is wonderful for me. A rose thats not fragrant that I would never be without is Crepuscule - gorgeous, peach ice cream blooms are always on the plant - it is a climber that can fountain on a fence - gorgeous! Another vote for the McCartney Rose - and love Souvenir de la Malmaison.

• knash6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Catrose,

I have done that before...very very dangerous. Just received an order from them a couple of weeks ago. I am better on the computer than in person, I get into too much trouble. :) Although I would love to get Mystic Beauty again. (sigh)

• ken-n.ga.mts
    11 years ago

You know where to drive to. I'll be making that trip sometime later this spring :)

• flaurabunda
    11 years ago

Kristi,
    I have Love & while it's one of the most beautiful roses in the yard, it has no scent whatsoever. It's lipstick-red on one side and snow white on the other; I put up a ton of pics last year on HMF.

I ordered Osiria this year. From what I've gathered, it's very similar in color, but with larger blooms and a lovely scent.
    --Laura

• russellmuegge
    11 years ago

I would suggest Vetran's Honor and Drop Dead Red. I would have to have Cynco de Mayo.

• betsyw
    11 years ago

Kristi, just thought I should mention the Kordes perfume-fest Parole, aka Buxom Beauty. Was introduced to the USA in 2008, so it may have gone under your radar. Apart from its names (Jailbait/Dumpling - yeah, good work there, Kordes Marketing Dept), this deep cerise pink rose is pretty near perfect - no spray requirements, beautiful high-centred flowers with substantial petals (HUGE blooms in cooler weather), nicely productive with a fragrance that is really intoxicating and waft-y, richly sweet but sophisticated. No cold cream or myrrh. And it cuts like a dream. I'm up to six of these. They're my battery hens for vase filling. Just sayin'.

• zeffyrose
    11 years ago

Kristi---Have you ever smelled the fragrance of MacCartney Rose?
    --it is a delicious healthy rose in this area--not sure about where you are !

{{gwi:235799}}

{{gwi:236919}}

Florence

• knash6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Besty,

Is the name of the rose Parole? I;m confused..:) Your excitment for it has my in a tizzy to find it...lol That is what I am looking for, roses that you want multiples of because they are so fantastic. and yes...2008 I was on the rose hiatus...really the last 5 years. :)

Florence,

Steve (Mr. Rosebud) gave me his MacCartney rose years ago, one of so so many that I left at the ex's house. :( I do miss it and would love to get it again.

• zeffyrose
    11 years ago

Kristi---I'm so sorry you had to leave so many roses behind--My daughter has been going through similar pain---she misses her garden---I'm so happy to see your new home hopefully my DD will have a second chance to garden--
    In my area MacCartney does very well with very little care-
    I will be following your progress with your new garden
    fondly, Florence--