SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blinkmyster

I have two problems, the first having to do with composting

blinkmyster
14 years ago

I have a small 8x8 vegetable garden planned for my back yard for this coming spring and summer. Determined to make my garden a deep bed garden, last fall I started by building a square box out of 2x10's, and then dug down inside my allotted garden space, placing the sandy soil beside my 2x10 box. I then placed two large bags of leaves off of the trees in my yard into the square 8x8 hole that I had dug (minus the bags of course) covering them with about two inches of soil. I continued alternating leaves and soil, until all the leaves were gone off of my trees and all the soil was gone into my garden. I know what you are going to say. Just how many leaves are we talking about here? Well last fall I raked up twenty four large clear bags of leaves, each bag approximately twice the size of a large garbage bag.

Anyway problem 1: I just started to turn over my garden about three weeks ago. With the first shovel full of soil I could tell that my leaves had not rotted down as far as I would have liked. Also I could find no worms in the soil so I added a few. Although I still have approximately three months until planting time, I would like to see my leaves break down a little faster. Any suggestions?

Problem 2: When raking my leaves I was also raking seeds from our Maple tree, and the neighbours American Elm tree. Just one week after starting to turn over my garden I found thousands of these seeds sprouting in my garden. I am afraid that in the spring when it comes time to plant, my garden will be filled with baby trees. Any suggestions?

Comments (18)