SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rideauroselad

First Chore For A Northern Rose Lover

Today is the first day that the temperature has climbed above freezing in at least a week. But almost all of the snow is gone and it is sunny and 5 degrees ( 42F ) this afternoon. So I went out into the root cellar to see how my potted roses had fared through the winter. They are all looking good but in need of some sun. I just finished carting them all outside and gave them a good watering. First gardening chore of the year.

{{gwi:238765}}

Here they are watered and enjoying the sun today.

{{gwi:238767}}

Here's how some of them looked last June at first flush. It is truly a miracle to look a them now and think that in about 12 weeks, they will once again be presenting me with fragrant gorgeous blooms.

The roses in the beds are all still covered in straw which is still frozen underneath. The ground too is frozen solid except on the south side of the house where the sun is warm.

Growing roses in this climate is a challenge and a work of love. Right now all is brown, leafless and frozen. But the long slow spring has begun in Eastern Ontario. There is hope and there is promise with bulbs and peonies already showing shoots in the warmer places.

It will likely be another two weeks before I can get the beds uncovered and worked. I also have eight new roses, including several of Paul Barden's varieties that will arrive from Rogue Valley Roses in about 3 weeks. I am very much looking forward to trialing them in my northern climate.

So here's a few parting shots for you winter weary rosarians out there. A taste of things to come:

{{gwi:238769}}

Wenlock and Morden Snowbeauty

{{gwi:238771}}

Crown Prnicess Margareta

{{gwi:226009}}

The original William Shakespeare

{{gwi:215599}}

Roses and perennials in full bloom in June. Happy spring everyone!!!

Cheers,

Rideau Rose Lad

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!