SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
therealdeal_gw

Blueberry lovers

therealdeal
13 years ago

Hello all. I just picked up a few Blueberry bushes. Gulf Ccoast, Emerald and one other one I cant think of right now.

I was given this info for care. What do you think? Seems pretty striaght forward and good advice. I am particuallry interested in your thoughts on the fert section and spraying sections.

Thanks.

Care of Blueberry Vaccinium spp.

Habit of growth: Mostly upright, some varieties spreading. A shrub or small tree 4-6 feet if pruned properly.

Soil: Ideally, likes strongly acidic soil.

pH of 4.0 - 5.5. Mulch with oak leaves or pine needles. Needs rich, organic soil with peat.

Water: Plenty of water; moist soil, but do not allow to stand in water.

Salt Tolerance: Not tolerant.

Freezes: Leaves freeze at 29�F. Hardy when dormant in winter.

Cultivation: Blueberries have shallow roots, so do not till land around them. Weed control is essential because if their shallow roots.

Fertilizer: 7-5-8 Azalea granular fertilizer on March 1st, June 1st and August 1st; 2-10-10 granular bloom booster fertilizer on November 1st and February 1st. Citrus nutritional spray at a rate of 1 tbs. per gallon water 1-2 times per year in spring and early summer when new growth is 3/4 grown.

Spraying: Occasionally in warmer and more humid months for mealy bugs and other insects, 4tbs. per gallon water with Conserve Naturalite insecticide. Blueberries must be sprayed during the warm and humid months of summer about 1 times per month starting in Mid-May, through September with Liquid Copper Fungicide at a rate of 4 tsp. per gallon water sprayed on the entire tree.

Pruning: Prune to shape. Keep bushes from growing more than 5 - 6 feet tall for most prolific fruiting.

Flower Season: White, pink to dark purple flowers to 3/8 inch long. Blueberries flower in February and March.

Fruit: Ripen May to June.

Comments (78)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert