SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Nay explains Chamblee's names - especially Lovers Delite

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
16 years ago

I contacted Nay, and she gave me permission to quote her about Chamblee's names.

Sammy wrote:

Spicy Lady became Frontier Twirl, then Honey Sweet.

> > Blushing Damsel became Prairie Star.

> > Westmoreland became Westerland.

> > Nicole became Hannah Gordon? (Hannah something)

> > Sombreuil became what?

> > Lover's Delite may be Fisherman's something

> > Carefree Beauty and Katy Road Pink are the same.

> > Are there any others you know about? ********

Nay Wrote:

Sammy, That's a good observation. I know several growers who come across "unidentified" plants that they found in neglected gardens, or were given to them by rose gardens, customers, etc... and give them a test name until they can find the true identity of the plant.

When they do find of the true identity, they rename the plants their true names. If the ID is still uncertain, they stick with the test names. I understand that nobody is perfect. I can accept that if a person calls a nursery and demands that the roses' names be changed, the proprietor will want "proof positive" of a plant's id before they change the name.

As for all of the 'Buck' roses you mentioned:

Mark grew and tested many of those roses before he knew their true

identity....(ie; test name Blushing Damsel) or he was "mis informed" of the true identity from the source he got the rose from. (ie; Katy Rd. Pink) The rose Carefree Beauty is only listed under both names because it was tested in the Earthkind rose trials under the test name, Katy Rd Pink.

While researching the Buck roses true identity, Mark went to the best sources ~ Mrs Ruby Buck, Mary Buck and Dr. Steve George. Together, they identified the roses and gave them their true names.

Sammy wrote:

*******After all these years if Lover's Delite is really a Fisherman's

something, I wonder why Chamblees does not change the name.*******

Nay wrote:

Same story, (same reply) different year. When Mark first got the cuttings

of the plant, he didn't know what it was. Frank (gone but not forgotten)

gave the rose the test name, Lover's Delite which seemed appropriate as it has such a wonderful fragrance. It brings me joy to know that Chamblee's kept some of Frank's "test names" after he passed away.

When Mark became licensed to grow David Austin Roses, he spoke with the

guys at D.A. about this rose. They didn't have any roses in stock to give him for

comparison. *I WAS THERE* when Mark asked D.A. about the rose. I heard it

first hand, directly from "the horses mouth". The guys at D.A. told him

that they did not want to market and sell that rose in the US. They don't market every rose they hybridized in every country they cater to. They DID

NOT provide him with any Fisherman's Friend plants to compare 'Lover's

Delite' with.

It is my opinion that if anyone were trying to "take credit" for something another

person did, they wouldn't include notes concerning the possible true identity of the rose on the rose information page.

Frankly, it deeply saddens me that each year some people get on the

internet and imply that a man whom I greatly respect and admire is

dishonest. If you have any problems with him, I believe that you should

speak with him in person, send him an email or write him a letter.

*******I hope all of you had a good day today.

Sammy here:

It is so good to hear from Nay, and I appreciate her response. Now we need to help her get her access back here. I think she is working with Carla, and having the same problem that Carla had.

For me, I love the Lovers Delite, and am glad that I ordered another one. I remember Nay's reports on Frank, and how much she admired and respected him. I remember when he passed, and what a sad time that was. It pleases me to have a rose that he named.

Sammy

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH