SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twotzus

This just isn't going to work! Advice please...

twotzus
16 years ago

What do you do when you live in a coastal climate like mine, and your roses have been blooming their heads off all winter, through Christmas, and are putting out new canes already. This year, taking the advice of my garden buddy whose garden is about 1/4 the size of mine, I thought I would strip every leaf from every rose, including my climbers to spray with dormant spray. I have never done this before, but I have been told it would help prevent the terrible mildew that seems to be getting worse each year. This past year, every rose, and many other plants had it. But I can't strip every leaf from every rose!! That would take me every weekend into April! I bought the dormant spray Dick Streeper recommends, Lily Miller polysul. Do I really need to strip every leaf? I am really trying to do it right this year. Can I spray anyway? Or will it do something bad to the leaves that havent been stripped?

My garden buddy (who has a garden 1/4 the size of mine) insists that stripping and sprayng dormant is the way to go. She doesn't seem to have as much of a problem with mildew as me.

Comments (10)