SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cassandra_wright68

What isn't working

Inspired but Anna-Lyssa's comment about discouragement I thought we could post spots that just aren't working and maybe offer advice.

Below is a combination I threw together with various pot cast offs and a Twilight Zone (not an OGR, sorry!) that looks kind precious to me. Light purple, large flowered clematis, TZ, a few struggling Siberian iris and variegated sage.

Fussy, too many little accents that are all the same size. I like the heliotrope (bottom left) but there should be more of it. Need something bigger than lamb's ear and hostas but smaller than the roses to fill in. Starting to think it's best to have only three types of plant in each bed. Combining more than that is an art too easily thrown off balance.

Below is Carding Mill. It's six years old, own root and heavily infected with Rose Mosaic. Should probably shovel but I love the flowers. Anyone think I should give it more time? It's only been in this spot for two summers so maybe it needs more time to settle in? I'm pleased with that lavender though. We live in an area where lavender usually struggles so I've never planted it but I'd call this a win.

Ha. Verbena Bonariensis was way too big for this spot. It's swallowing up the Itoh peonies and two good sized Lady of Shallott.

Comments (16)