SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshtx

Irresponsible Nursery Practices - A Rant

joshtx
10 years ago

I must say, I have been sitting on this rant for a long time. I haven't wanted to stir the pot or throw a fit, but I've just about reached my wits' end with some of the nurseries I've come across when pursuing Old Garden Roses.

Things really came to a head tonight when a local nursery sent out its 2014 Rose List for the spring, and I read through the 'Antique Roses' section. I found an endless listing of Hybrid Perpetuals that are guaranteed to be disease-ridden by next fall and won't be useful for much other than holding a bloom. Hybrid Perpetuals! In our disease pressure?! Why?! Who in their right mind would order such plants?! And what was more disappointing was the fact that the really good Teas and Chinas were almost non-existant. Mme. Antoine Rebe? Had they seen the thing at the EK Gardens? It was a giant bush with almost no blooms! Then I realized that the "Antique" roses list had modern shrubs and HTs in the category as well. 'Polonais' was introduced in 1984. Hardly antique. Lavender Lassie was most certainly not introduced before 'La Reine' so it hardly qualifies as antique. And why on Earth is 'Maggie' listed as a shrub, when it should be listed as a Bourbon?!

Irresponsible! Completely irresponsible! I am banging my head on my desk as I imagine the general, unknowing public showing off their 'Polonaise' rose to their neighbors saying, "Oh yes, and it's an antique too!'

Blasphemy!

Then there was the episode when I was on my way to Austin, Tx for the weekend and I called ahead to several nurseries to ask if they carried OGR. I called one nursery and they told me they did carry them! Great! So I asked if they had any Teas, Chinas, or Noisettes. I just about ran the car off the road when the man on the phone replied, "Oh I'm not sure, none of them are labelled. But it sounds like you know what you're talking about so I'm sure you could identify them when you come out!"

So against all instinct, I show up to this nursery, round the corner to the Antique roses section, and find 4 long wooden benches with roses toppled everywhere. There were roses on the ground, upside down, laying on their side with half their dirt fallen out, all completely unmarked and unsorted.

I even had a family run nursery in my hometown tell me that, 'Yes they had tried antique roses before, but they were so disease-ridden and poor that they decided to never try them again.'

Ma'am, I'm not sure what antique roses you had but me and my 27 thriving, completely clean, cold hardy, potted antique roses must disagree with you.

What has this world come to?! If one is going to run a nursery, it should be done responsibly so that the customers know exactly what they are buying and what to expect from it. And how hard is it to take the time to do a little research about the product you are going to offer? I mean my god, this is your livelihood! And now, because of sub-par rose cultivars you offer, the notion that roses are finicky, difficult, plants will continue to perpetuate because someone was too lazy and inefficient to take a minute to choose plants that would work well here.

/endrant

Josh

Note: Thank heavens for nurseries like Angel Gardens and Long Ago Roses, who practice responsible rose commerce.

Comments (30)