SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Chelsea (rant)

User
12 years ago

May as well get the rage out. Again, this annual extravaganza of excess is upon us and again, I am gritting my teeth at the frequently expressed opinion, that this jamboree represents the best in horticulture. What utter bollocks. What Chelsea represents is a triumph of style over substance which has nothing, nothing at all, to do with horticulture. Any idiot could compose a show garden if they had unlimited budgets and all they had to actually do is to place plants around as though it was all a stage setting. Plants which are grown by someone else (who never get credit for their efforts) and are merely plonked in position. Many of these plants would not grow together. Many of them are artificially forced. They are primped and plumped to create a snapshot of a artfificial moment in time. This is NOT gardening.

Last year, Andreageorgia chipped in with a long socio-cultural exposition detailing why Chelsea matters. I remain unconvinced and appalled by the excess, the ridiculous grovelling to 'high-society' (although, in reality, it is generally Z-list escapees from third class reality shows and fading media types who are more than happy to whore about in front of a camera). Nope, Chelsea is all about money, posing, performance, class, snobbishness with the same old tired faces wheeled out ad nauseum, to waffle endlessly about the latest fashionable plants/theme/faces. Bah! tedious, obscenely expensive garbage. I will be spending the time at my allotment in much the same way as I did to escape the sodding Royal Wedding.

Hey, call it sour grapes if you like but I actually do design REAL gardens for a living - gardens which have to fit in a designted space, fulfill customers demands and keep to minuscule budgets by creating gardens which are not merely stage sets but function as evolving, living artefacts for the long-term pleasures of my clients. THIS takes some skill - not the mere selection of a few perfect plants to last for 5 days. Chelsea is an anachronism - decadent, worthless preening, sponsored by some of the same corporations which are responsible for the massive economic failures of the last few years (Stand up, the likes of Merrill Lynch)

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH