SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Weekend Journal

rob333 (zone 7b)
15 years ago

We had major setbacks on the bathroom. Major. Ugh. So it's been sitting, neither one of us wanting to finish. Ed was gone this weekend, and about halfway through last week I decided my plan of action. I was going to clean the deck and stain it. I was going to paint the storm door and replace the handle. I was going to study and do laundry. LF who has been trained to cut the tile, was going to cut the tile, while being supervised (Ed took the tile with him to Alabama). On Friday, after a completely relaxing and rejuvenating dinner (for both LF and for me!), we went and bought the paint and the new door handle for the storm door. I got home and took the door down. I cleaned it, and decided to take off the old handle. It was rusted on. WD40 and soaking. Much wrenching. And bending. But I wasn't going to use the door handle hardware anymore; it was in too poor of a shape before I'd wrenched and bent it. While it was soaking, I got a wild hair and decided to put up the spring loaded closer. Dropped the drill bit inside of the porch, never to be seen again. I may have to find a way to get that later. Hm. At any rate, gave up on that for the night, thinking, I'll do it last thing tomorrow. I decided it was silly to have a brass kickplate on the door when the all of the other hardware and now the storm door were satin nickel. Took it off and painted it. I finally got the hardware off, cleaned it some more and then painted the door, but I ran out of paint. After what I'd done was dry, I thought, I'll just hang it back up and tape really well. It was he-double hockey sticks getting it back on without another person to hold it! But I did it, with the help of a box to prop it up. Whew. With the door flopping in the wind, I picked up the new hardware, set to install it. It was for 3/4-1 1/2 doors. Apparently, my door is like 1 3/4. Didn't fit. Finally, I gave up and went to bed, having been decimated in accomplishing anything! I didn't have any hardware for my half painted door, which had no spring loaded closer.

Saturday, we got up and cleaned the deck so that it could dry all day long. We met mom and had lunch, followed up with watching Ghost Town at the movies. We went home and I cleaned out the mess in the bathroom, when I realized there was no tile to be cut. I gave in and went to bed early.

Sunday, we went to brunch, grocery store, and then picked up deck stain, more spray paint for the door and another door handle, twice the price. I spray painted the door some more, put the hardware on and then Ed drove up. He put the spring loaded closer on the door while I stained the deck, swing, and pergola. LF spilled half a can of deck stain. I squeegeed off as much as possible. It's supposed to be natural redwood, but looks like dark walnut. Oh well. It matches the front door now. I'd made a template out of paper and was going to put up the torn out drywall from when the plumbing was leaking. I so didn't want to do that. But I was going to. And I was going to grout the floor. Ed cut the tile and said he'd grout the floor. I found out you can't cut a paper template for drywall. I'm going to try it again, this time with cardboard. I did cut a pretty good looking hole in the drywall though. Better than Ed. We have a new front to our house, almost. Tweaking on the stain, which needs to be sealed and the storm door needs touch ups. Looks good.

Ed promises to finish installing tile and grouting tonight. Ed said Kansas' performance alone was worth the admission to Big Spring Jam. I never studied. I did do the laundry. Well, it's clean, but sitting there waiting for me to fold and hang it. I have two exams, one tomorrow, and one Wednesday. I'll be ok. My diet? My objective was to lose 10 pounds per month for three months and then do 20 more slowly until my birthday. I've already lost 15 in one month. No sugar and controlled carbs. I'm never hungry, except when it's time to eat. And I don't eat other than meal time, so it's not so bad. Now if I could just get my studying done, I'd be good to go!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions