SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Easter Weekend journal

rob333 (zone 7b)
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

My 30 year high school reunion is coming up. I still see the same group of girlfriends whom I met in junior high (that was back when there was junior high, and not middle school)! Can you believe it? We all went to different universities, but have still contacted each other through Facebook and seen each other in person. What's really weird is, out of the eight, I think seven of us have remained/come back to the same zip code. And three of us, work for the same organization. One at the hospital, one as a researcher, and one as research administration. The three almost never see each other, even at work?! We updated each other about all the classmates we had heard things about. Wayne and Molly were so much in love, and he was heartbroken over her death, but has remarried. I never would've thought that he could move on, so I was glad to hear it! My next door neighbor girl whom I tried to help out to fit better, never did. She became homeless and died last month :( For instance. We talked and laughed for hours. It was just like old times. The boy came along, but I'm pretty sure it was a) for the food, and b) because he couldn't leave with no car and no license. He was sweet, but we didn't really talk to him that much. I tried to get him to go read his book, but he kept getting up and getting food. Once, when he went back to the register again, they reached over and ripped off part of a baguette rather than let him buy more food. Teenagers are like rubbish cans when it comes to food! Someone suggested we do it again, and each tagged the other on Facebook posts. We'll see. I went home and made the frosting for the carrot cake. It was tasty, but I cannot ice cakes at all. The base looked pretty good, but with one big blob of a carrot on it, and the stem/leaves were ugly, about a four on a scale of 1-10.

Sunday, I got up an hour and half early. I had his Easter basket sitting on the counter, waiting for him. He'd ask to see it the night before and I said, basket, what basket? You'll have to wait until the Bunny brings it. He made mine right in front of me, and tried to hand it to me. I prepared the pork loin roast, tossed it into the oven, prepared the sauce ingredients, and then got ready. I'd had all the ingredients wrong for the sauce. It never did turn out right. Church was ok, but a little odd. None of the past year details that I like. The sermon was good. We went to mom's and set the table, warmed the rolls and the pork loin roast. I knew my oldest brother, who was bringing the vegetables wouldn't show or be late, and he was. He told us his, his girlfriend's daughter is going to bring and read her favorite book to school today, Edward Gorey's ABC book. He giggled at the thought of the horrified teachers. Typical of him! He was late, and left early. Everything happened so fast, we didn't even make the coffee. I felt shortchanged on the day, but such is life. One bright spot? We come from a family of huggers (grand parents, dad, sister, me, the boy...). My mom didn't like them growing up, but has learned to do it. My brother has never hugged. Ever. Not even when he was being sent overseas for the military. Good thing he came back. I was standing at the counter trying to prepare a plate for his girlfriend (she didn't come, due to health), and he was just standing there. I felt like he was waiting for a hug?! but just kept going. I didn't think that's what he really wanted. But he went around the room hugging everyone after that. I must've been right. He was a poor wounded soul, growing up. Once daddy headed off overseas to war, not just military, he holed up in his room with books and never came out again. He's just started being social the last couple of years. Made me hope there's a new beginning going on there. Hope he's healed. What they hey, it's the season of hope.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions