SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

weekend Journal 30 Oct-1 Nov

rob333 (zone 7b)
14 years ago

Friday was the Halloween dance. LF had recenlty seen the movied Addams family and loved my explanation of why the daughter looked like she did so much, he didn't want to dress up. The explanation? Anyone can be a criminal and look like anything. But I told him he had to dress in costume in order to get any candy. So he dug through his dressup clothes he hasn't worn in years to find all of his Batman stuff. It was all too short, small, and looked incredibly uncomfortable. Everyone liked the way he dressed (I found him humorous with his waist lining up on his chest), and he loved seeing everyone. After roaming the halls to do his trick or treat, we went to the gym to hear the loud thumping music. They were playing some pretty good tunes like Thriller, "...everybody clap your hands...(((clap, clap, clap, clap, clap)))" but his ears couldn't take the volume. So he stood in the hallway. When I asked him what he was waiting for, he said P. I said, she's probably in there and looking for you. But he wouldn't go in. I told him to pack up his candy and we went back home to wait on Ed to get there. We watched Air Force One and ate the remainder of dinner+candy. LF left wearing his too small Batman costume.

Saturday, I woke up and decided to take my time getting ready. I got gas for my little red Miata (hurray she's back!) and picked up my coffee. I lolled through the grocery store looking at more than just my items listed and then took it all home. Budget was $250 and I checked out at $254.08. I thought that was pretty good. I got home and cleaned out the pantry, fridge, and freezer. I made three kinds of muffins for the coming month's breakfasts, froze 2/3 of them, brownies that I cut up and put in the airtight jar on the counter, and sliced up the leftover cake from the past week which I wrapped in plastic so as to be seen by the LF who wanted them. As long as he eats dinner, he can have a bite. I also made bowls of the last of the potato soup so as to be able to zap them for quick meals. I had a pot of beef, veggie, barley soup half full and decided that it was took thick and spicy, but really, it needed more meat in it. I added water and the three chargrilled hamburgers I found in the freezer. It tasted like summer in a bowl. With the yellow squash (the last of my friends garden before the freeze last night) and the grilled burgers, I decided I would call it summer's last hurrah! soup. And I wanted to savor it so I froze it for use in a couple of months. I chopped up vegetables for a stir fry and took my cookbooks out of storage. I have them packed in order to move out when the house is sold, but I want to believe I will live there. So out they came along with the grill/griddle and my salad bowl set. Those are so that I can get back on the diet track/lifestyle change. I want to eat healthier. I do. Spent the night wondering, off and on, if there would be any trick or treaters, but there were none. I also watched the Ghost Hunters scariest episodes. Scary, I don't think so, but more convincing, sure.

Yesterday, I made Beer Cheese soup. Here's the recipe (it's awesome, I give it a five star rating, don't remember from whom I got it, but it is a GardenWeb/THS person):

Beer Cheese Soup

Makes 8 cups

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine

1/2 cup minced onion

2/3 cup flour

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon paprika

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon salt

1 10 3/4-ounce can chicken broth

4 cups milk

1 12-ounce can beer

3 cups finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

Popcorn to garnish (I don't do this part)

Melt butter or margarine in large kettle. Sautonion until soft. Blend in flour and seasonings; gradually stir in broth, milk and beer. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in cheese; heat and stir until smooth. To serve, ladle into soup cups or bowls and garnish with popcorn.

I also fixed the garbage disposal, cleaned out my long lost friend of a car, met Ed and had a fight with him about LF, and then did laundry+pick out clothes for the week. I also talked to my nextdoor neighbor for about an hour or so. Baked a chicken that I picked off the bone. Not much else. Was glad to see my LF and hold him when he got home. And pat the cats until I went to fitful sleep. We go to mediation on the 18th, now slated for early morning. Ugh. About like scraping icy car windows with one's tongue. At least it'll be closer to being done.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions