SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Weekend journal 11-12 October 2014

rob333 (zone 7b)
9 years ago

This week has been exceptionally stormy! I even got flooded again, Friday night. Sucked up 3 gallons of dirty water. The rug was only damp in the morning, as I went out the door to go pamper myself for a whole two hours before working the Vanderbilt homecoming game. Son's high school marching band's fund raiser is parking cars for events, such as local universities' (TSU and Vanderbilt) football games, Titans football, Predators games and concerts at Bridgestone arena, etc. At any rate, I knew it was going to rain. I had on my Vandy hat they gave us when we parked cars three weeks ago, and hiking boots. I also knew I wanted to eat a lot because you don't get to eat, use the bathroom, or even think! when you're parking cars. At all. Off I went to get a cup of coffee at the Starbuck's and lunch at 11, both in the strip mall adjacement to Dudley Stadium.

Starbucks was elbow to elbow! Except, everyone was getting it to go, and so, I could find a seat easily. It's been so long that I've been able to sit and think without a goal that I almost couldn't do it. It was easier to people watch and young couple with two young children ended up being in my vicinity. The older child must've been fussed over totally when he was tiny because he just couldn't take that mom found the younger child a chair first and asked him to wait patiently while she got another "better" chair for him. He'd knock him off the chair, or stand in the midst of all those people who were gabbing away, making loud noises, and fussing. Poor thing. What really got my attention was the smaller child. He was just sitting and gazing out the window, contented to just be. I don't know if it was all the time he'd spent his life, waiting while his parents dealt with the older boy, but he was zen. Total zen. His brother would do things that would've made any other child go ballistic. He just sat there and continued his gaze. He brother asked him something twice, and the second time, I think he said, "yes". That was it. I really wished I was like him. Such a calm. And I love kids. So you have to imagine what a handful the bigger boy was! I really felt for him. He was as much storm as the younger was the calm. Wished them well and off I went to kill some time at the bookstore. Found the true life crime section and wished I had time to read more (should've done that instead of coming over here!), so I didn't buy another book.

Lunch rolled around and the server was so sweet. I told him I was eating before going to work in the rain, but that I was ready. I would just quack like a duck and splash in the puddles! He smiled and suggested I get a hot bowl of soup to warm up. I did, along with spicy hot Kung Pao scallops, steamed rice, and finished with a nice pipping hot cup of decaf cappucino. Time to go get wet!

I rolled up to the barricade and got out of my car so the police officer wouldn't have to, but he got out anyhow. I told him I was there to park cars, and I wanted to know the best way to get to where they were. He kept pointing left, when I knew they were right. I finally said, just tell me which street is open and how close I can get. He told me the wrong street name. Did he do it on purpose? But I didn't let hit dampen my spirits!

There was a group that had gotten there at 9 instead of 12, but the game didn't start until 6:30! Tailgaiting typically begins 3-4 hours before a game, and I thought 12 was pretty early. The 9AM group was completely confused why they were there early, but hey, that's just more money they'd make for their organization. I got to park cars in the same place I'd parked the time before with the same police officer I'd parked with before, and I just love his attitude. He's a no nonsense kind of guy, like I am. Neither of us suffers fools to awfully well. I admit it. I joke about people as they drive off. Some will hold up their parking permits from about 1000 feet away and expect you to read it. HOW?!! Do they really think we can read it? Ugh. Or to hear them. Over the other cars running, people talking and cheering, marching band warming up... I just don't think they get it.

My favorite was the car of little old ladies who drove up to the barrier with signs that said "Road Closed", and asked, is the road closed? I thought, Nah! We're just standing here in light reflective vests with barriers for fun! I simply smiled and said "yes, it is." And the lady who handed me last year's permit. I played dumb. "I'm sorry, I can't find today's game on this?" (that's what gets punched). "I assure you it's the two thousand thir... " I didn't even let her finish. She'd already dug her grave. She meant to say 2014. I handed it off to the guy supervising. She first told him the 2014 was in the husband's car. He said that it was ok, just have him send a picture of it. Then, it was an entire city away. Then he was getting his haircut. UGH! UGH! These people just make me laugh! Most of the fans are super nice. They're excited to be there and getting ready to tailgate. Food and fun, who wouldn't be happy? We all had a good time and the time flew. I was so glad to get home and take off my squishy shoes/socks. They did make it the first three or so hours, but then, they were wet the rest of the time.

Sunday, I finally got to go to church. Three weeks I haven't been and seen my mom. It was good to see her. My sister showed up afterwards and we all went out for lunch. We were going through all the places. No, we didn't want Asian food (sister too, had had Chinese), but there was a Shoney's, Captain D's, O'Charley's, then I suggested fried chicken. My niece who hardly ever talks (she has cerebral palsy and it's difficult for her), spoke right up! Fried Chicken?!!!! Guess it's gonna be KFC. Sister and I didn't know how to order for just ourselves since her child is now grown and pays her own bills and my child was gone. It was his and his father's birthday and they were off celebrating. My turn is this upcoming weekend. We've already been out to eat and he's opened his present, but we'll have cake and company this weekend.

There are only two marching band contests left. The Mayor's cup contest is this weekend and the Governor's cup is next week. I can't believe marching season is over. And there are only three years of school left (three marching seasons). Boohoo! It's so much fun and I am glad he's having as much fun as I had. Great past time.

This post was edited by rob333 on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 10:04

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions