SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Weekend journal April 10-11 2010

rob333 (zone 7b)
14 years ago

On Friday I decided I wasnt going to do anything this weekend. I really need to finish some woodworking, painting, and packing, as I know I will have to leave my house soon. Really soon. IÂve been through so much health-wise, I wanted to rest. In the past month, IÂve had sciatica, a messed up toe (either broken, or just really bruised), and a tick bite that caused a rash, a mild fever, and a monstrous headache. IÂve packed boxes and moved boxes. I knew I needed to deposit a check, get my car tags going, and I had to take LF to baseball, but made no further plans. Earlier in the week, Phil said I could borrow his new mower and I put it off saying, may I please use it on Thursday or Saturday, but Thursday was so cold and itÂd just rain. By default it was to be Saturday.

Saturday was bright and cheery. LF and I got dressed and headed off to the bank and to get the emissions tested on my recently fixed exhaust. The bank took a couple of minutes and so we went to the testing facility. The line wasnÂt too bad. I did get to see past teaching put into action. As we pulled in, LF immediately set to busying himself playing "the license plate game". He got to J and was stuck, so he decided to use the letter on the neighboring buildings and the lettering on vehicles. Shortly, we were on our way. He finished the license game on the road. We made it home with only enough time to change clothes and go to baseball. Their team was made up of kids whoÂd obviously played in this league last year while our team had obviously never played a game in this league. Every person who batted on their team scored. Every person on our team struck out. Needless to say, LF is not thrilled with the prospects of this season. He stayed disappointed about it for the remainder of the day. Poor fella. After the game, I cut the grass and did yardwork. It made me feel good to see such lush verdant mats framing my house, and it looked inviting. People smiled as they walked past the house looking at the Kwanzan cherry tree blooming surrounded with purple, blue, and yellow pansies. There is also the cutest cushion of phlox blooming a blanket of purple and pink, snuggling two concrete bunnies. Work, but not planned work, so it was welcome. We ended the evening with grilled hot dogs on the back porch.

Sunday we went to church. After, we went to momÂs house and had grilled cheese sandwiches, LFÂs favorite. He ate two. Susie, mom and I went about unpacking boxes and putting things in order. LF went about touching things he shouldnÂt touch or get into. Not his best day. He was ok, but obnoxious. He did unpack all of the pantry boxes and put it on shelves, pretty well. I appreciated that. We went home and I walked into "having done nothing". There were dishes in the dishwasher and in the sink, the cats litterbox needed emptying, the trash needed to go out, and the laundry hadnÂt even been started much less put away. Ugh. We did all the odds and ends and then ended up on the back porch with an apple we sliced up and ate between us. He had a root beer. I was too exhausted to eat my chicken piccata (or cordon blue). I ate the leftover mac-n-cheese. He had a glass of milk, two bowls of fruit, one bowl of peas, a pizza, a yogurt, a cherry pie tart, and then we both ate the two bites of chocolate cake that was left from a previous dinner out. Did I say I cleaned out the fridge? Well, he did. He ate whatever he could get his hands on! As I plopped down in bed, Joel Osteen was talking. His sermon was entitled, "making a mountain out of a molehill". He was talking about what I have learned so hard this past two years. DonÂt sweat the small stuff. But you know what? All this stuff I was sweating (and theyÂre hard answers) is going to be small in stuff in the end. Isn't that mind-boggling? Losing a house is small in the overall scheme of things. Yep. Ten years from now even, it'll be small stuff. I know I am thinking right because I hear so many people say, how are you handing this so well? I do trip every now and again, but I get up quicker and quicker. Some day, it won't even phase me; IÂll just say, itÂs no big deal. Losing my house doesnÂt mean IÂve lost my home, it only means IÂm moving.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
More Discussions