SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Journal week of February 8-11, 2010

rob333 (zone 7b)
14 years ago

Via Nova, the brand name smiled up at me from inside the black leather shoe. Mom has been cleaning out her house sheÂs lived in off and on basically since she was born. ItÂs a cozy craftsman style cottage that my grandparents could never have afforded to own. When they moved in, they became fast friends with the landlords, Mr. and Mrs. McMurray. The McMurrays were childless and loved them so much they willed the house to them. It was a testament to what good people my grandparents and the McMurrays were. Gran and Stan never forgot that kindness and passed it along. However, mom isnÂt the best at throwing things out and moved in on top of the vestiges of her parents past seventy years. It has been a process, a really long process that involves my mom going through her things and their things, in addition to at least two other people packing it every day for about two weeks now. I think weÂll be down to the barebones, ready to stage the house by this weekend. Mom is moving to the first home sheÂs ever bought by herself in her lifetime. SheÂd lived with her parents, rented, or lived with her husband. SheÂs moving to a home that is in better shape, all new appliances, finishes, you name. It's in a quiet neighborhood in the backyard of our church. SheÂs trying to throw out as she goes; good for her (hard for her to do). I think sheÂs found her via nova.

She keeps giving me her shoes that are 7 ½-8 and Susie her shoes that are 8 ½-9. Whatever doesnÂt fit me or arenÂt my taste, I give to Soles for Souls. ItÂs working out well, as I was desperate to have some new shoes. All mine were worn out. I buy good leather shoes, repair them, polish them, until they wear out. They were there. My hands are covered in shoe polish today after cleaning and polishing all of the shoes mom gave me. Susie estimates mom had well over 600 pairs of shoes! I have evidence of that, as she gave me a bag entirely of metallic shoes. Who has more than one or two pairs??? Astounding. SheÂs a fashion plate though, and itÂs her favorite thing in life, so why not. Out of all the stuff, weÂve found postcards from World War II, my greatgrandfatherÂs name plate he had when he worked with Wernher Von Braun, the quilt my greatgrandmother was working on when she died, a lock of SusieÂs hair, old tools, a newspaper from the civil war we found when remodeling the house, a plethora of stuff that is old and interesting to us. I hope to find a way to finish the quilt Mamaw started and give it to mom on Mother's Day, if I can figure out how to save the remnants of what is left.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions