SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markymark06824_gw

Am I just being impatient???

markymark06824
13 years ago

Ok, guys. I have been reading this forum for quite some time now and have been taking advantage of lots of useful information. Now I need some help.

I'm on a 50x100 plot, so its not a huge area of grass. The lawn was a contractor mix (I'm guessing), with filled in spots from Lesco seed I bought over the years. About two years ago, my neighbor took down a tree that put my lawn in direct sun for most of the day. This past season, for unfortunate personal reasons, I was unable to keep up with my lawn. No pre-emergent, no regular feeding and no grub ex. With the crazy summer dry heat here in CT over July and August, I also did not properly water. In the first two weeks of August, grubs hit the yard and wiped out most of my front lawn.

Reading an older thread here, I started over:

Roundup to kill the existing lawn;

Liquid Aeration to loosen things up and remove thatch;

Slice seeder;

KGB seed (Midnight II, Moonlight, Bedazzle) from Williams Seed;

Starter Fertilizer

Entire front yard was completed four weeks ago tomorrow.

Watering schedule by an in ground sprinkler was two or three times daily for the first three weeks; once daily since then. During the month of September, we had about three inches of rain (on two separate occasions) and have had consistent rain for about a week until Wednesday of this week.

Here's the question . . . After about 8 days, I started seeing germination of some of the seed. Considering I was expecting a month for germination, I thought this was odd, but I was super happy : ). Now that I am finishing 4 weeks, I only have sporadic germination (it looks like a teenager trying to grow his first beard, grass on the perimeter of the lawn (lower spots), but not much in the middle of the lawn). Am I expecting too much too soon? Could the heavy rains have killed some of the seed? Should I put down more starter fertilizer?

Any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (13)