SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nova_novice

HELP....I think I mortally wounded my transplanted rose

nova_novice
15 years ago

This is very embarrassing...but I think I made a mistake. I dug out one of my roses last Friday...Lavaglut, a really nice floribunda, and moved it to the other side of the rose bed, next to 2 other Lavagluts (so that all the reds are together)

The bush was only 1 yr old, I had planted it last year as a little sprig from Chamblees, and it grew into a decent sized (and very thorny) bush in 1 year. I don't know if I got enough of his root system when I dug him out, I tried, but to be honest, there wasn't a huge root ball under him. Anyways, I put him in his new hole, a few feet away, watered him well, gave him a 1/2 dose of Bayer 3-in-1 liquid fertilizer. He sulked, all his blooms wilted, which I kind of expected. But today (3 days later), his sulking got worse, the leaves were drooping. I ran to the nursery and bought some Biotone (supposed to promote root development and help with transplant shock) and fed him that, with lots of water

I wouldn't be alarmed, but I also planted 5 new roses this weekend (from Roses Unlimited) and all of them seem really happy (none are wilting).

So, my friends...what do I do? I really like this rose, should I wait to see if he survives. Or should I reconcile myself to my loss (a accidental rose homicide...how horrible!!) and order a replacement rose? Is there something I can try to help him along, or am I just being impatient (and feeling guilty)

Comments (9)