SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yardnutnc

Seeding lawn without inground irrigation

yardnutnc
16 years ago

Hi All,

We are in the process of killing off the weed-filled areas of our grass and re-seeding, waiting to get soil test back, are doing the core aerating, etc. We are in zone 7 and plan to be seeding with fescue. We bought seed from OutsidePride called Combat Extreme. I can keep the ground moist during the seeding/germination process but the idea of watering a huge swale area down the road if we don't get ample rainful seem too much to manage. We are mandated by Hm. Assoc. that we have to keep grass (or something low growing and green) in the swale for errosion, etc. After putting a chunk of time and money into this project I feel that unless I get an irrigation system in place the project will have been a huge waste of money come next summer when it heats up! Spray painting the area green isn't an option --- I already asked! We are on a corner lot so the entire front of our home along the road is this swale area (we are on an acre) - if this was in the backyard I wouldn't be spending any time or money on it.

Any thoughts from those without a sprinker system that have grown grass in western NC without irrigation. Thanks for any and all advice!

KW

Comments (4)