SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcsmith717

Seeding KBG lawn in northeast ohio

Tom
5 years ago

O.k,I was all set to do a spring seeding on my new lawn back on the first of may but the weather did not cooperate very well and the ground was very wet.I have hired a landscaper to to regrade and spread out new topsoil over the entire area.I killed the lawn the last week of april and it has been dead now for about 3 weeks.Landscaper says he is finally coming out the end of the week but I think the window is over for a spring seeding. Everything and i mean everything i have read on the topic of seeding a bluegrass lawn says do not do it and it will probably fail due to the heat.Now the landscaper doesn't seem too concerned and he is done after the grading as i am putting the seed down and finishing up the lawn.I don't want to put off until fall now and was wondering if anyone has succesfully started a kbg lawn this late in the spring/early summer.Irrigation is not a problem and i am home everyday to keep that on schedule.I understand weed pressure will be high and expect that but if i continue to water throughout the summer and can keep it from going dormant can i ride it out?My thoughts are with september arriving i will have another growing season before winter.Am i looking at certain failure or is this possible?My seed is world cup mix from seedland.Temps on average in my area are between 75 and 85 and the nights tend to be cooler at least was the case last year.Thank you for any help.

Comments (29)