SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtbunny

Redo lawn area after construction

15 years ago

Hello, I have several problems to deal with. Hopefully we can figure this out! A bit of history:

This Spring I had someone plant Buffalograss plugs for me. The job was not well done and crabgrass and other various weeds were prevalent when...we had demo and construction begin on our deck in back. The area planted leads to a double gate where the construction traffic had to go. A bobcat/loader moved out an old patio and the deck while destroying half of the area recently planted. This ground is now very compacted and rutted. It is about 50' x 20'.

My goal for the lawn area is low/no maintenance which is why I have the Legacy Buffalograss. I saved aside two 14" pots of the plugs and the other half of the lawn area (30'x 20') is doing OK but that part is mostly shade and the area destroyed is mostly sun.

I am open to other ground cover but I'm not sure what I can accomplish at this time of year in order to not have a mud-yard this Winter. Spectracide, Momentum, and Scotts Weed-Feed have all been applied to this area in the last several months which makes me flinch since I am trying to be as simple and organic as possible but I guess it had to be done.

My overall design for the front is headed toward front yard garden in the other two sections and this area is to be steppable/backyard accessible. I love the idea of low carpets like thyme, ajuga, even clover but I'm not sure if that can be accomplished right now. Any suggestions out there? I'll send photos.

Thanks, I love these forums and plan to participate more since my husband isn't the plant freak that I am!

Comments (3)