SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gastone21

re-doing lawn in Fredericskburg, VA

Home was purchased about 6 years ago. Located on a small (1/8 acre) city lot. It was purchased as a short sell, and the previous owner(s) did not spend much time on the lawn. I've established some raised beds for veggies, and some others for tropicals (pita come wintertime), but now that we have a baby in the house we'd like to establish a lawn. I've hit the lawn a few times with some 42% glyophosphate to knock down whatever currently exists as my lawn. This is mostly wire grass (bermuda grass??), followed by an abundance of violets, dandelions, clover, and every other weed known to this part of the county. I just got the soil results back from VA Tech, via my local extension office, and have started to amend the lawn per their recommendations. We understand that we will have a dead lawn until this fall, and that is fine with us. Recommendations are for nitrogen (I applied Milorganite), and 160# of lime/1000sq ft. I've done the first dosing of lime, and will a total of 4 applications.

Questions/considerations:

I plan on renting a vertical rake. At what point is it optimal to do this?

I don't know what type of lawn I should try to establish. There are two distinct regions. The easterly side of the house gets good morning sun until about noon, maybe oneish. The northerly side gets a wee bit of morning sun, followed by a few hours of not terribly much, then gets full sun after about twoish or so.

Any recommendations on cool season/warm season grasses? I'm not overly concerned with watering as the area to be addressed is quite small, and won't adversely affect my water bill... no more so than the tropicals do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Garrett.

Comments (4)