SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qknitter_gw

fixing lawn after construction

qknitter
11 years ago

We are in the process of buying our first house -- which means that we know very little! I'd be super appreciative of any and all advice from the sages on this board.

Because of groundwater issues, we asked the seller to have some drainage work done. Now that the work is finished, we are surprised to see that the backyard still looks like a construction site. We did understand that we'd be responsible for reseeding over the newly-dug trenches. We did not understand that the torn-up strips would end up covering much of the (former) lawn and be very rough. It's a disappointment, because we were very excited about the gorgeous well-established grass that was there when we decided to buy this house!

I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that it's not possible to drive a bobcat across a wet lawn without tearing up the grass. In the meantime, we have a LOT of prepping and reseeding to do. And given that the digging was essentially tilling, we can expect a lot of new weeds, right?

So here's my question. Would you:

a. insist that the excavator (who is being paid by the seller) come back now to smooth out the trenches so that they'll be ready for reseeding in 10 days -- despite the fact that it's the end of June and not the best time to plant a lawn, even in the rainy northeast where we live

b. insist that the the excavator come back now to smooth out the trenches, but then leave us to find some way to cover the area to protect it from weeds until September when we reseed

c. forget about asking the excavator to finish cleaning up the site, consider the project complete enough to close on the house, leave the yard torn up and uneven for now, and pay someone else to smooth and reseed in the fall

d. do something else that hasn't occurred to us yet?

Many, many thanks for any insight.

Comments (17)