SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atmoscat

What should I do to fix my lawn?

atmoscat
9 years ago

Last summer, we had some landscaping done in our front yard, which meant reseeding about half of it. It was hydroseeded in August and I worked really hard to keep it watered and looking good into fall. We're trying to go organic, so I added a thin layer of compost and also mulched fall leaves into the lawn last fall. Then we had a really hard winter (Boston area). After the snow melted, the grass was all matted down and crusty in places (I think there was some snow mold.) Most of the grass is now greening up, but the newly seeded areas have a lot of dead patches and the grass that's coming in is pretty thin and weak looking. What should I do? Should I overseed now? Fertilize? Add lime? I haven't tested for pH yet this year, but our soil tends to be acid. I should add we're zone 6a and this area is on the north side of our house, and is also shaded by some large trees. The majority of the grass gets several hours of sun per day but the part nearest the house (which is also the most badly damaged) gets less than that. I can take pics if that would help. Thank you!

Comments (36)