SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ddauksas

Seeding new lawn after construction in clay

7 years ago

Hi. I am close to having a new house finished near Greenville, SC. It is on about a 35 acre section of land, and while not a true working farm, I do rent the pasture out to someone with cattle and am planning a vineyard, orchard, etc. I give that background because I don't need a pristine, well manicured lawn around what is essentially a farm house, but rather just have something that will grow and prevent erosion.
The grader originally removed all the topsoil from the backyard and cut down to essentially red clay and rock to get the elevation correct for the basement. He set aside most of the topsoil so I still have that in piles around the perimeter of the backyard. The backyard is about 1 acre and is on a slight slope.
My question is how do I go about preparing the soil for planting grass and what sort of grass should I consider. I was planning on spreading the saved topsoil on top the clay and if needed, bring in additional topsoil to cover the areas if I don't have enough of the saved stuff. Since the clay is super packed down, I was afraid that if I just spread a few inches of the topsoil on top, that with rain it would simply wash away if the grass roots didn't take hold quick enough. Should I till the top soil and clay together? If I do till them together, do I need to use a roller of some sort to compact it back down a bit so it won't turn into a muddy swamp after a rain?
Also, given it is winter, I was planning to seed with rye grass (maybe some fescue mixed in) and then in the spring was considering adding bermuda to the mix as I understand it is more drought tolerant and I'm not interested in having to keep the grass watered. I think the grass that is outside the construction area is currently a mixture of bermuda and fescue as well.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (3)