SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dschribs

Scotts has turned my lawn to hay.

dschribs
16 years ago

Last year, I bought a house that had a gorgeous lawn. Dark gree, thick, no weeds, very little wrong with it - if anything. In the Sping, it came up fine. Just as great. In my last house, I used the Scott's 4 step program so I thought it would work just as well for my new house. I put the first application on in early April (Turf builder plus crab grass control). A few weeks later, I notice the lawn was geting more brown - and less green. It was very dry. However, it was still acceptable. On July 4, I applied Scott's second step (truf builder plus weed control). Well, it's now July 22 and the lawn looks absoluetly horrible. Dead spots, dry, hay like patches and very little green left. Admittedly, I may have applied too much fertilizer as I think the number on my spreader was one higher than recommended by Scotts but I find it hard to beleive that could have desimated my lawn.

So...what do I do now??

I was thinking of sending a soil sample to UCONN to test the PH. COuld this be a PH issue? Would a soil sample tell me if I applied WAY too much fertlizer?

If I did apply too much, will the lawn "turn green again" next year or is it gone for good?

At first I was thinking that it might be a watering issue but when I checked with the neighbor, he said that the prior owner watered very little. However, he was doing something right because when I came to look at the house last year - the lawn was absoluetly perfect.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Here's the pics so you can see the sad state of affairs at my home...

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn Pics

Comments (26)