SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taraleigh_gw

Scott's lawn care service & my horrendous lawn

taraleigh
15 years ago

Hi,

I was hoping someone could offer some advice. We bought our house about a year and half ago. The yard is a mess. Really tough yard to begin with, but part of the mess is the horrific lawn. It is full of crabgrass and on one side of the lawn it is just sand. We have no idea why... it's not near the street or anything so it is not from sanding of the roads that occur in the winter. We are not sure how deep the sand goes. We tried raking it and it seemed kind of deep.... not sure what to do here!

I just called scott's lawncare service and asked them to come in. The prices seems very reasonable to me and I feel overwhelmed with trying to do this myself. We have a new baby and we don't know anything about lawn care. The amount of time it would take me alone to try and figure this out wouldn't be worth it. The first time they treat the lawn it will be 30 dollars and each time after 40 dollars, which is only every 5-6 weeks. They also recommended a yearly lime treatment... he said he was giving me a deal at 40 dollars. He recommended a grub treatment too which is one time and 90 dollars and he said if grubs every show up in our lawn after this one time service, they will replace our whole lawn for free. The guy was so nice and helpful, and I really felt it would be worth it for us to pay someone to take care of this issue while the lawn is in such rough shape.

My husband is annoyed with me for calling scott's. He feels we need to seed the lawn first. I think his feeling is.... you need to have a lawn before you can treat the lawn. Our lawn is pretty bad, mostly weeds. He also thinks we could do this ourselves, which is laughable because we can't seem to get anything done around this house with the baby.

Basically he thinks we don't have enough of a lawn for them to even take care of.... but isn't the whole point to get scott's to come in and get rid of the crabgrass before we can seed anyway? Scott's told me it is better to wait to seed until fall... and they will come in and get rid of the weeds and fertilize this spring.

Doesn't it make sense to get the weed problem taken care of and then worry about filling in the lawn later?

My husband seems to think only people with beautiful lawns get this lawn service... well obviously these people had to start somewhere! I think his worry is once the weeds are gone, there will be no grass and we will have a yard of dirt. Does killing the crabgrass allow grass that we didn't even know was there to sprout up?

Also what do we do about the section with sand? Do we get dirt put down now and try to seed that area now just to get something up in that area?

Also do you think the grub treatment makes sense? I think it probably does because my parents had a huge grub problem that ruined their lawn for years. We live in an area where grubs are a big problem.

Is the lime important?

Thank you so much!!!!!

Comments (9)