SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skoot_cat

My buddy wants Organic, has 1 acre lawn.

skoot_cat
16 years ago

My good buddy (who owns a lawn/landscape maintenance co.) came by my house this weekend and commented on how nice and green my lawn is. He asked the usual questions. How do keep it so green, what do you fertilize with, what about bugs, weeds etc. Im sure I told him more than he wanted to know about Organic lawn care, but he was very interested. Then he asked about the cost. I told him I was unsure for his size of lawn, but I and the gardenweb guru's should be able and figure out an affordable plan for him. I hope you guys will help.

Heres the current situation:

He lives in Largo, Fl. and the soil is mostly sandy. He has 1-1/2 acre of land of which approximately 1 acre is lawn/landscaping with lots of oak trees. He has not applied anything to his lawn for 1 year now. The front half is St.Augustine Floratam and is approx 20,000 sqft. The back half is mainly Bahia and some S.A.

The front 20k Sqft of Floratam is his main concern. Its currently in "decent" shape. (some thinning and bare patches) IMO, Its defiantly fixable with a little TLC. The area receives 3/4 filtered sun from the oak trees and 1/4 full sun. He has an irrigation system which uses the County's reclaimed water. He already mulch mows high and waters deeply and infrequently.

The back half is mainly Bahia and receives full sun. He would like for the this area to look "respectable", its not his top priority. (maintenance practices same as above)

Available 50# Grains/prices: SBM $17.45 - Alfalfa Pellets $13.25, Cracked corn $11.50, Molasses $3.00/gal.

Also available, Milorganite, and Scott's Organic Choice.

What do you all suggested for the Front Floratam section?

What about the back Bahia section?

Comments (9)

Sponsored