SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomasjacobs_gw

Help with lawn disease diagnosis

thomasjacobs
16 years ago

Hi,

I am a newbie struggling with a problem that seems to recur each year once it gets warm in June. I start out the Spring with a beautiful green lawn but then these yellow patches begin to occur and they spread until much of the grass dies. It rarely happens in the back which is screened by the house for part of the day. Here is a link to a small Google Picasa album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ThomasJacobs/GrassDiseaseTroubleshootingSpring2007

Some details:

1. House and front yard face south and I live 30 miles west of Chicago

2. I cut the lawn each week (twice a week beginning this year) at the highest level with a Honda mower (I have not measured but believe it is 3-4 in.) I began trying to mulch this year until reading that this can spread disease so I am back to bagging but still cut twice a week

3. I apply the Scott's five step program as well as Grubex

4. I have an in ground sprinkler that I have on for approx 30 minutes in each zone every other morning from 6-8:30AM unless it rains

5. When it is hot/dry I typically turn on the sprinkler for 10-15 minutes in each zone that borders the drive way from 6-7:30PM every other day or else the grass dies along the driveway border from the asphalt which seems to run under the grass pretty far like 2 feet.

6. I don't believe that it is excess moisture that is causing this as the areas that die first are much less moist than the back yard which does not seem affected.

Would someone kindly,

1. Diagnose this problem

2. Offer a remedy if one exists or else share how I might prevent it going forward

Thanks very much.

Sincerely,

Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery of photos

Comments (4)