SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philes21

A Diagnosis of Ron's Lawn

philes21
16 years ago

I just saw the thread in BillHill's thread, and Ron says his lawn, even after the organic application(s) this spring, is dying.

We regulars probably ought to weigh in on this, early, as we're going to be subject to a barrage of questions anyway (which is fine, really) so let's get started. Before this thing becomes a true lawn emergency. I'm fond of saying that in the midwest, your lawn will never look as good as it does on the 4th of July. It just goes downhill from there, and you can only hang on, and try to enjoy the ride. By August, hey, you're really looking forward to October.

1. Ron has brand new sod. To me, that means that it isn't fully rooted yet into the native topsoil, but instead is rooted (fully or otherwise) in the peat that the sod is attached to that makes sod easy to deliver and install.

2. That sod was receiving, last fall, before the delivery, a mild shot of Milorganite or other sludge based fertilizer about every two weeks, out there on the sod farm. That grass just couldn't help but expand, grow deep, and grow dark green. It just couldn't help itself. And then, two weeks later, another shot of Milorganite. And plenty of water, that peat wasn't going to be allowed to dry out, as peat is apt to do.

That wonderful feeding regimen (for sod), stopped as soon as the poor little slices got delivered to Ron's house. Since then, they've been on bread and water rations. Well, if you added yeast, it would be bread and water. It's not enough.

It's not enough to keep that KBG growing, (which I suspected, as soon as Ron was talking about re-habbing that new lawn, come this fall), and the organic stuff, while it might create some wonderful relationships with the critters in the soil (others can expound on this better than I can), does not, repeat does not, perform as well when trying to benefit PEAT. Peat is largely sterile, doesn't hold moisture well, and rots away (I'm sorry, I meant to say 'naturally decomposes'). The peat will rot away, but not in one year. Perhaps not in two. At that point, the KBG will be firmly rooted in topsoil, and will receive full benefit from the organic approach. I trust that the lawn will sink deep roots, and won't dry out in midwestern mini-droughts like we've had this spring.

But right now, as I diagnose it, the lawn is drying out, and needs some Milorganite desperately. A light shot. And another light shot two or three weeks down the road. It needs some nitrogen, not unleavened bread, and in summer the only way to do that without burning is Milorganite (If you're near Chicago, which Ron is).

So there's my advice, Ron. Others will pitch in with their advice, and you can weigh it all out. But you don't have a lawn. Not yet. You've got last year's sod. They are different creatures, with different requirements, and I don't see any advantage in deviating from how the sod farm treated those poor, undernourished little sod slices (I'm wiping away a small tear from my cheek), for the first two years. The sod farm's program got that seed from just seed, up to deep, dark, spreading sod, in just one growing season. They're doing something right.

Comments (10)