SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Please help! I think I am going to cry!

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

Last year we had to regrade nearly the whole lawn of the house we bought a few months prior. We bought loam and the excavator crew graded and reseeded. I did my homework and bought extra-good (I thought) loam that was mixed with "high-quality composted manure" compost. I diligently watered all spring, and the lawn came in lush and green. This spring I applied a corn gluten weed-and-feed to the whole lawn and lime in the areas under evergreen trees that looked a little thin.

Now!! This year... the lawn is COVERED with perennial weeds. Mostly big fat-leaved plantain, but also a bunch of others that I haven't identified. The kicker: these weeds are NOT in the areas of old, original lawn that didn't receive any new soil/seed. They are ONLY in the areas seeded last year. The grass is THICK with them, there are areas many square feet of matted plantain, and throughout the maybe 1/2 acre they are dotted at least every foot or so, usually closer.

I just spent 3 hours with a weed-digger trying to dig them out but it's pretty hopeless. It would take me weeks.

I cannot use chemicals. I am a cancer survivor and don't want the exposure, plus, our pet hens roam the yard and eat the grass.

We spent so much money and effort last year trying to have a reasonable lawn, and not its just horrible. I don't want it to be perfect... I'm fine with clover, violets, and some dandelions.... but this is horrendous!

What can we do??????? Is there any non-toxic way to kill these perennial weeds? Do I need to order another couple inches of loam and reseed the whole thing again? But then, would the weeds poke up through... plus, what if the NEW soil is contaminated?

Ugh.... I'm sooooo discouraged :(

Does anyone have any advice? Thank you!

Comments (15)