SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agrocoders

Fescue Lawn repair in a transition zone (6B)

agrocoders
9 years ago

OK, I have a compacted clay soil that is alkaline in Zone 6B in Somerset, Kentucky.

The coldest it gets in -5 F with occasion (once a generation) -10 to - 15 F and typical summer highs in the mid 80s F to low 90s F with once every 5 - 10 years highs hitting 100 F. We get once to twice weekly heavy rain with that decreasing as summer goes on to August when we likely get only 3 - 5 rains the entire month.

My lawn on closer inspection in 'better' shape than I thought but it turns out that's because of fescue's ability to grow were other grasses won't. The plants that aren't weeds in my yard are almost 100% of some time of clumping fine fescue. The majority of other plants in the yard are violets, ribwort plantains, and white clover. The only one of those that is cause weekly and every bi-weekly mowing is the flower heads the ribwort plantain throw up.

So I want to get rid of the ribwort plantain and nothing else. I'd like to reseed the entire lawn in September or October if September is too hot in a good fine fescue mix and start cutting at my mower's highest height setting.

The best way to get rid of the plantain? I'd estimate about 1000 - 2000 in the entire yard.

The pictures are in different areas of my yard. The first is a concentration of violets.

Comments (9)