SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdeftekar

Dead or dormant? (zone 7 fescue)

CEZ
8 years ago

In the late summer and into fall I killed off my lawn and grew new Lesco transition blend fescue. It came in great with a nice green color, though the blade never did get very thick. As winter came in, a lot of it turned brown.... Pictures attached of its current condition.

Below: This is what it looked like in the fall. Some areas were thin when the picture was taken and overseeded again and thickened up later.

I know fescue is a cool season grass, but is the brown dead or dormant? If not dead, at this point, what should I be doing? I am in zone 7 so we are in a mix of of freezing temps to up towards mid 60s depending on the mood of the weather that day.

I do have some winter weeds that came in and will be using tenacity to knock those out and act as a pre-emergent for the summer.

Should I be fertilizing right now? If so, at what rate? I still have a lot of Lesco starter fertilizer. Will that be best as a boost or should I be adding something else?

When I seeded I used a lot more peat moss than intended to hold in moisture (my calculations did not factor in the compressed bags!) I worry that my seeds may have rooted in the peat moss and didn't get into the soil much, killing off a large portion...

Comments (5)