SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grasswhisperer

Questions on Deuley's Compost Tea

grasswhisperer
15 years ago

Okay - I'm really excited to have just brewed my first batch of compost tea using "Deuley's Own Little Texas Tea Brewer". But I have a few follow-up questions for anyone familiar:

- 4-5 gallons of brew has some "sediment" at the bottom - should I stir this up into the tea? I ask only because the last pour out is really silty, and somewhat clogs up sprayer.

- After applying the tea, should I wait before applying broad-leaf killer like WeedBGone? I'm thinking one has nothing to do with the other, but just making sure.

- Says that 4-5 gallons treat about 10,000 ft2. Yikes. I assume the only way to make that work is to dilute - however, can I use "tap" water for this? or will chlorine in tap kill the whole brew? (I used fresh surface/pond water for the brew.) I forgot about needing to dilute, and was hesitant to use straight tap. I wound up just using the 4 gallons straight-up on my 4,000 ft2 backyard. I realize perhaps one method might be to blow-off the chlorine by aerating the tap water for 24 hours in a separate bucket beforehand, so you have some to dilute the brew? Or should I just grab extra pond water? Or perhaps the residual chlorine in the tap is not in great enough concentration to do any damage during the short time it's in contact with the brew as a dilution vehicle...?

I realize the brew is creating millions of microbes, but it just doesn't seem like 4 gallons is enough to treat 10,000 ft2? But I look to the experts...

Thanks much!

Brad in MA

Comments (6)