SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
computergardener

Compost Tea Question....

computergardener
14 years ago

I have read the "Fine Gardening Article on Compost Tea" and I have reviewed "Deuley's Own little Compost tea Brewer" instructions and I have reviewed most of the posts on this site concerning compost tea.

For those of y'all that make compost tea I have a few more questions.

1) Do you put your compost in a bag prior to soaking per Deuley's instructions or do you just add it to the 5 gallon bucket. It just seems like Deuley's method would just be cleaner and easier.

2) How much compost do you put in the 5 gallon bucket? Deuley's is maybe 3-4 cups where Elaine's instructions tell you to fill it up 1/2 full. I know the extra compost following Elaine's instructions will not go to waste but why add it if not needed. Or does the extra compost just provide more material for the beneficial microbes per batch of compost tea?

3) Air pumps cost $10, $15, or $20 at my local Petco. I bought the $10 because it stated it was good for a 15 gallon tank. But since I am putting (4) air bubblers in the bucket, should I get a larger air pump? I know aerating the water is key. Within reason, does the more air into the water improve the compost tea or speed the process?

Thanks all.... Lots of great information already on the forum I just wanted to clear up these last few items.

John

Comment (1)