SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

Fruit to darn big

alan haigh
9 years ago

Darn, I tried to edit the "To" in the subject title, but I can't doo it. I feel publicly humiliated by my word usage faux pas.

In an effort to get maximum brix this season I really went all out on the thinning process- really trying to thin to 8-10" between fruit (of larger type fruit) very early . The problem is that this can be a problem if you want pieces of fruit that are possible to eat in one sitting.

I'm not sure how much these huge peaches and apples were improved flavor-wise (as usual I wasn't ambitious enough to maintain a control) but their use as boasting fruit was certainly enhanced. People always think you know what you are doing if you can show them really big (and pristine) fruit.

I wish I had some control over the amount of water my trees get so that heavy thinning had more affect on pumping up sugar than on fruit size and vegetative vigor of the trees.

I'm just finishing the last of my Encore peaches, a variety not known for great size, and they are still between hard and soft baseball size and much more peach than I'm inclined to eat at one sitting. There have been years when this variety has been smaller and more flavorful, although they were quite good this season. I think it was weather more than anything that reduced brix a bit. The smaller peaches seem to hold in the fridge better as well.

I may actually hold off thinning a bit next year on varieties that tend to get larger than I like them. I don't need Honeycrisp apples the size of grapefruits- I don't need grapefruits the size of grapefruits. This is a season where I really appreciate my Wickson crab- I can eat a few and not end up with a partially eaten fruit.

Aggressive thinning of plums was totally worth it though. They never get too big and tend to be better tasting the bigger they are.

This post was edited by harvestman on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 11:52

Comments (22)