SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Big orange tree in fruit ...

I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there is a big orange tree fruiting right here in my neighborhood ...

I knocked on the door to inquire about it and the owner told me that unfortunately the fruit is sour. So it must have come up from seed.

However, he pointed to another citrus tree in his front yard that was a heavy bearer of tangerines. He said he had purchased this tree and it was originally from the East, China he thought.

But "Where is the fruit?" I asked. "I picked them!" Of course! Here's a picture so you can get an idea of the form of this tree.

From the way he described the fruit I believe it to be Changsha, a very cold tolerant variety. I still have Changsha seeds available if anyone wants them. It takes seven years to fruit from seed. But I noticed Fanick's in San Antonio sells them if you want to get a head start.

While the camera was out and handy I took a few more pics. This was purchased for consumption since it was the only kale start I could find. Now I find it hard to pick leaves from it.

The ever faithful four nerve daisy ...

Winter honeysuckle, so very fragrant and something for the bees in winter ...

Cape mallow, another faithful bloomer in all seasons. Can you see all those buds!

An interesting aloe that turns red in winter ...

Comments (5)