SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeremywildcat

First House in Denver - Lawn Questions

jeremywildcat
14 years ago

Hello everyone - just bought my first house here in Denver a couple of months ago and I've been trying to get the lawn in shape. It would appear that the previous owner didn't take very good care of it. It's in an old neighborhood in Denver (Sloans Lake). I'll try to describe the issues the best I can without photos since I don't have a camera handy right now. Any help is much appreciated!

The lawn is about 5000sqft, and partially shaded by trees. The front has a steep hill that goes up to the house. I believe the lawn is KBG with what I think might be tall fescue mixed in parts, or at least some other kind of grass (thoughts?). There are still some bare spots also, but they are getting better. The side yard (about 10x30) is mostly bare, perhaps from all the shade, though possibly also becuase it's somewhat hard and compacted.

What I've done so far: Pulled all the weeds I could find - tons of clover, considerable crabgrass, dandilions, others. I also had the lawn arated, overseeded, and fertilized a month ago. Unfortunately they ripped up the grass on the front hill very badly, trying to get up the hill. Really did a bad job. I got them to come back out and refertilize and overseed again last week for free, and the grass on the hill is starting to come back a bit. Got a mower and trimmer, and started doing that every 3-5 days. Watering about every other day, more on the bare spots to try to get the seed to start.

What I need help with:

-The tall fescue (I think) doesn't look very good mixed in with the KBG. Is it a big project to get it out? Should I just try to resod those areas?

-There are some other weeds that keep coming back, like dandilions, as well as some kind of ivy-looking stuff in a few spots. I got a bottle of Bayer Weed and Crabgrass (hose sprayer), but should I wait now since it's been overseeded again recently? The dandilions are the worst in the front yard, but is that a lost cause since the neighbors all have them too?

-Would it help on the bare side yard to add some topsoil? It is compacted, and kind of sandy on the top, so not an inviting environment for grass.

-Any other tips for lawn care in the Denver area? I'm a little doubtful whether it's even possible to have a lush green lawn here like I was used to in KS, but we'll see.

Thanks!

Comments (21)