SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ggolan

First time lawn owner's intimidating blank slate

13 years ago

Greetings,

I recently purchased a 117 year old house in Portland, OR (Zone 8) whose yard has most likely seen no real love and care for 20+ years. This is not only my first house, but my first ever yard having grown up in Manhattan and lived in apartments all my life. I have what one might call a very messy blank slate and tackling it has been very intimidating so far, so here I am, seeking some advice as to how to get started.

Current State:

Primarily the yard is bare earth, weeds, with some grass mixed in. I beat back and dug out the majority of the blackberry bushes this past summer, but beyond that the yard is a mess. There are small hills, little dips, a tree stump, and just about anywhere you dig you uncover some refuse. I have so far unearthed rusting weights, most likely lead paint chips, baseball gloves, plastic bags, a few (hopefully) larger animal bones, and lots of other buried refuse. I still have not removed the buried bath tub!

Goals:

I would like to get both the front and back yard to a place where the ground is relatively flat, and there is pretty mowable mostly weed free grass growing. I also intend to build some raised beds for gardening and some other landscaping features but fundamentally I need to know where to go first. I have no idea how to get from this mess, to a pretty lawn with a big vegetable garden. How do I deal with the debris still buried, and the potential dangers of lead paint chips.

Any help would be appreciated, pointers, references, books, you name it, I want it. There seems to be an abundance of information how to make existing lawns better, but I cant seem to find anything that really help for when the starting point is such a disaster that there is nothing worth saving. Ideally I would like to try to limit my use of strong chemicals and follow a more "organic" path to accomplishing my goals.

Please feel free to ask clarification questions, I will do my best to answer.

Thanks!

-Gadi

Comment (1)