SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moon_child_gw

My blank slate with my views and questions

moon_child
17 years ago

As I stated in my post on "Newbies," I've been lurking in this forum for some time, learning enough to get up the courage to post my question, photo, and necessary information, so here goes. If I've forgotten some info, just let me know.

DH and I just moved to this house a few months ago. I've been messing around with some ideas, some learned here, some from books. However, one of my dilemmas that the various books, magazines, etc. don't address the TRULY blank slate. Many landscape designs seem to begin with at least SOME point of interest, some POINT of the design: the people like to entertain, the designer works around a 100 year old tree, there is a stone wall enclosing a tiny courtyard...always something.

What if you begin like some of us are now beginning--with a house on a suburban lot where the land has been scraped clean of everything (unlike my sister's development, where they worked AROUND the old-growth trees, removing only those that they HAD to...gotta LOVE those developers) or developed on what was previously a farm field. There is no VIEW to borrow, no lovely stone wall, no trees (except those planted by the neighbors, most under 10 years old), just house after house after house, a bunch of neighbors looking into my yard and home, no need to ENTERTAIN except the occasional couple of friends over for grilling.

Still, I would like to enjoy a lovely view. I would like to putter around with my plants. I would like to restore some semblance of nature that might also bring wildlife back to this area (ever seen a suburb with NO squirrels?). I would like my landscape to reflect the climate (Eastern Iowa, zone 5a) as well as the kind-of almost-there style of the house (colonial) and my personal style (cottage-y) while still promoting ecological diversity (no, I don't want 20 soldier-like arborvitae standing at attention in formation in an attempt to screen me from my neighbors). And I expect that all of this will take TIME, years of time to acheive.

But where do I begin? I've done LOTS of reading. I know a FEW things about my site, but haven't lived here long enough to experience ALL the seasons or begin to get a sense of any microclimates. I know we're going to put in a fence, probably just a basic dog-eared paneled-wood fence to keep the dogs in and the neighbor kids out as well as provide a backdrop for the plants. In the meantime, our front yard is blank, our backyard is blank, and my mind is either blank or overwhelmed.

What's next? Once you have read and read and looked around the neighborhhod (but I don't want to look like all my neighbors) and browsed through the nurseries, dreaming, and through the catalogues, dreaming, what's the NEXT step? I don't KNOW what kind of hardscaping we might want/need. I don't HAVE any focal point, no point of interest to which a path should naturally meander, no wonderful/perplexing shade to work around. Just a house, a decent-size yard, two dogs, a bunch of neighbors and a LOT of grass. Where do I go from here?

Moon (who's going to include a couple of pictures so you can see what I'm talking about)

Comments (7)