SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chitowngardengrl

Blank slate in need of ideas-in over my head?

chitowngardengrl
14 years ago

Hello-long time lurker, first time poster. Everyone on here has so many great ideas and alot of those have helped me in the past with small garden projects. I feel like I have a bit of a "black thumb" sometimes. With the help of all you good folks on here I was able to plant a jap maple (bloodgood) a few years back and it is thriving. Everytime I look at it I get goosepimples! Here's my new quandry. We are in the process of fixing our front porch and have removed dead landscaping. We are in the city of Chicago and the front faces north. I do get some light east and west thru the canopy of maple trees on the street. The photo below shows the house at about 5:30pm getting some light from the west. The house does get a good amount of east light in the morning, but the area against the lattice is still very shady.

I've gotten some great ideas on foundation plants from the forum members, but I still am having a hard time with the corners which aren't very spacious, but need height. The grass is another story altogether-we are working on it!

Any windy city natives out there with this same type of property/shade issues?

Thanks!

Sara

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County