SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Historic house with a strangely blank gardening slate

I have recently purchased a rehab farmhouse out in south central PA (north of Gettysburg). I am not certain how old this place is since the paperwork didn't go back further than the last owner, but it started life as a log house and went through 19th century changes. It looks a little like a southern style low slung Georgian. At one time it had a huge bank barn,but it burned and was replaced by a one story maw of a barn. There is also a wagon shed.

The only really old item I see is a huge old lightening struck ash tree in the front yard. Other than that--typical 20th century overgrown arborvitae and yew, and a couple of miniature ornamental conifers near the out buildings. THe foundations are clear of plants. The previous owners put in some more ash and an oak on the east and west sides. That's it. There are no external spigots to be seen to water anything.

I find it hard to believe that in possibly 200 years, there is so little sign of any flowers or shrubs,gardens--anything on the 4+ acres. Nothing but nice lawn and tangles of wild weed shrubs/trees. There are 2 additions on the house since the 80's, so maybe the DPOs razed everything in grading. I don't know.

I have pretty much a clean slate to work with. I know one part of my plan is utilitarian (orchard, working garden, kitchen garden). Can anyone point me in the direction of what the typical plants available to 18th, early 19th century might be? (I was surprised to find that day lilies weren't introduced until 1900!) I'd like to perhaps give a nod to the house's original building period (guess 1790-1840 latest) and work my way up. Resources for plant introductions to US? What kind of shade tree would be planted or were trees like the Ash self-seeded from the general vicinity and left alone to grow?

Thanks--I'm just hoping to organize my thinking with some GW assistance!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions