SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crewdawg

New guy trying to get better at taking care of a new (to him) law

Crewdawg
12 years ago

Hey guys!

Well, first things first. My name is Grant. I live in Atlanta and I am having to maintain a lawn for the first time since highschool. Its been a while. So, I've got the basics of maintenance (ie. mowing, edging, weeding) down; however, what I've never really been educated on was how to have a beautiful, healthy lawn that makes everyone else jealous. The front yard says a lot about who you are and the pride of ownership you feel with regards to your home. With that said... i'm so lost its not even funny.

We moved into this house ~ last September and the previous owners had really gotten to a mowing maintenance only routine. Much of the front yard had deteriorated to being weeds/crabgrass/etc. There were a lot of thin patches and in general... it needed work. However as it was moving time and all the associated money, the lawn continued in maintenance until this spring.

I gather now that the spring is not exactly a favored time to overseed a lawn, but honestly... it needed to be done. Long story shortened, its had its ups and downs. I mowed, prepped, seeded and fertilized in late March when temps started to moderate. A week later Atlanta started getting hit with these torrential downpours that kept washing away all my hard work... I would try and mend where I could, but new I was fighting a losing battle. In the end, I think the lawn came LONG LONG LONG WAYS back. There are still two trouble areas that dont drain well and are shaded that I'll deal with, but the majority of both the front and rear lawns came in nicely and were growing extremely well ... lush green... I was suuuuper proud.

Well what brings me (and I imagine most new members) here is lawn trouble. I thought I was on the right track for a while because up until two weeks ago my lawn was growing in great! It was super green and seemed to be growing an inch a day. Not really but I'm sure you get my meaning as I would mow on a Sunday and think it needed mowing again by thurs. Here I was tihnking I was this amazing lawn guy even on my first crack at it since mowing the lawn for my parents in high school.

Fast forward to now. The lawn looks like it's taken a few steps backwards. As you'll see below, what was once lush and green has now developed brown spots and has substantially slowed it's growth. I mowed on saturday and barely needed to blow the driveway off. It still looks pretty green, but its definitely begun taking steps backwards. Brown spots/patches and yellow spots... sort of like dollar spot and brown out?

Two weeks ago I used scotts fungicide at the suggestion of the neighborhood lawn guy. I applied it at the preventative rate. I wasnt seeing any signs of fungus at this time, but figured I'd follow the advice of those more in the know than I. Ever since it seems like the lawn is going backwards and it's only MAY! How can I fix this before it gets too bad and hopefully before atlanta's summer heat comes in.

I really need and appreciate all suggestions. Suppose I should mention that I did water everyday for 4 weeks after seeding (except on rain days), and am currently running every other day. The sprinklers come on at 4am for 20 mins. I know they need an inch per week... but I have no idea what that equates to in time. Since reading the FAQs, I'll reduce waterings and up the time for a deep watering. The lawn is roughly 1/3 an acre.

First a few overall then close ups of the issues.

{{gwi:90366}}

{{gwi:90367}}

{{gwi:90368}}

{{gwi:90369}}

The issues:

{{gwi:90370}}

{{gwi:90371}}

{{gwi:90372}}

Some of the weeds:

{{gwi:90373}}

{{gwi:90374}}

Do I fungicide again? Fertilize? Both? Waive a little white flag and hire someone?! (Just kidding about the last option).

Thanks again!!!

Grant

Comments (11)