SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vince92183

New home, new lawn...want organic care

vince92183
14 years ago

Hi everyone, I made a post in the lawn care section and totally did not see the organic lawn care spot. I figure I'd introduce myself since I will probably be visiting this forum quite a bit.

I just bought a home in Gilbert, Arizona that has two small lawns, front one is around 550 sq feet and the back one about 700 sq feet. They're suppose to be bermuda grass, but previous owner didn't tend to well to his lawns. I have noticed some weeds, mainly nutsedge. I have also noticed very compact soil and maybe a little thatch.

My plan is to hopefully save the lawn and I know it will take awhile. Here's the plan:

1. I have laid down some compost for the time being. Money is low right now with the move, so figure compost would be a good start to get the soil going.

2. When spring comes I plan to aerate, throw down some more bermuda seed, a very fine compost, and a fish/sea weed fertilizer

3. Mowing, I bought a 7 blade reel mower and will mow weekly at 1-2"

4. Water, I plan to water as infrequently as possible. I'd say during the summer months, it'd be every week but a real good soaking. Right now, going at around once a month, deep soaking.

5. Fertilizing, I'll stick with the fish/sea weed fertilizer to try it out for a season. I'll do it monthly.

6. Weed control, hand picking until the soil just gets healthier and it can fight weeds on its own.

That's my plan. Of course I am open to suggestions and other opinions, I am no expert. lol Let me know and thanks in advance. I look forward to having my first lawn.

Vince

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County