SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

Confusing Spider Plant Behavior

kwie2011
9 years ago

I have an enormous, vigorous, green spider plant. It has numerous stolons, some with very large plantlets that are themselves producing stolons this year. I've had trouble over the summer with stolons breaking, presumably because they've gotten heavy and therefore fragile. I usually notice it when the plantlets all fold up along the midrib from lack of water.

However, I've also had plantlets folding up from lack of water when there isn't a thing wrong with the stolon. It happens during the day, and overnight they open up again. Some stolons are affected while others seem just fine. Sometimes I can correct it by watering, but not always. I was pretty certain the problem must be due to being pot bound, so I removed a good portion of the top and sides of the soil and roots, and I was surprised to find that it really isn't that rootbound. The roots are white, fat, healthy, and relatively loose (likely more dense at the center, I realize). There is no sign of rot, and the soil is evenly moist (no dry or soggy patches), so I'm stumped. The mother plants are deep green with strong arching leaves that show no sign of needing water; the problem affects the plantlets only.

Anyone have a lot of experience with large spider plants? Ever seen this?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County