SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daniellehasaspiderplant

Help for beginner with new Spider Plant?!

Danielle
3 years ago

Hello! I am a very new houseplant owner, as I have never been very good at it. I got a large spider plant about three weeks ago from a nursery. I repotted it into a new pot with new, well-draining, soil the day I got it and gave it water. I then watered it about a week later as the soil felt dry. Since then, I have been monitoring the soil moisture every few days, and it's now been a week and a half since I last watered it.

The tips are browning, which I believe is the result of using tap water the first two times I watered (I have distilled water for next time), but parts of the leaves are starting to yellow, as well. Overall, the plant is looking much droopier and "flatter" than when I bought it, almost none of the leaves stand up anymore. I am worried that it will get worse. I have removed some brown shriveled leaves from underneath in the past. I have not watered again - the soil around the edge of the pot feels mostly dry, but the soil more in the middle of the plant still feels moist, but not soggy. The leaves do not feel squishy at all, but many of them bend or don't really support themselves well. Some are very pale at the base, but I can't tell if it's because they're new/young or if it's something else. I have misted it several times to keep humidity up. I am worried to water it again as I'm afraid my inexperience will lead to over watering as the symptoms can look so similar to those of under watering.

Admittedly, it probably doesn't get tons of natural light in its normal spot, but I have been moving it into brighter areas for large parts of the day to compensate (unfortunately natural light is a challenge in my apartment overall).

Can anyone help me figure out if my plant is ok, or what I should be doing differently? I really don't want it to die! It doesn't look super ill like some images I've seen, but I'm afraid to let this behavior go too long as I don't want to reach a point of irreversible harm! My frantic Googling hasn't helped me, so any help would be much appreciated by this paranoid new plant owner.

I have included a number of images - one is from when I first brought it home to show how upright it used to look. The rest were taken today after carefully pruning some of the more yellow leaves. Apologies for the novel, and thank you in advance!

Comments (5)