SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vicki_mm

Help plz! Have spider mites ruined my potato plants?

VLM
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I LOVE gardening. But I HATE pests. I feel like I've wasted a ton of time and money when I see what they do to my "babies" - and I know others can relate. It's such a pain, and frankly why many I know don't bother growing vegetables. I feel like I learn something every year, but every year, there's more to learn.

I planted seedling potatoes (1st time) 7 weeks ago. Didn't know about hilling until after I'd planted them, so will do things a bit different next time. But I was amazed at how quickly they grew and how healthy they looked; beautiful, pest-free green leaves - until about the 6 week mark. Yesterday, I noticed they were infested with spider mites. I know I should've seen it coming, but honestly, I do my "garden walk" almost every day and didn't see them until yesterday. I think I was both focused on other plants, and the change in the leaves was gradual, until it was too late. I sprayed front/back of the leaves with the hose, and now ...I'm not sure the plants will survive. They look so sick :(

These mites are my biggest nemesis (coral color under lens). It's an ongoing battle they always seem to win. I've pulled oregano, tomato, & basil for them. Hose-spraying helps, but it's a tough solution to spray each leaf repeatedly (when I have so many things growing). Interesting I have a few bean plants interspersed with these potatoes and the mites have left them alone. They definitely like a certain type of leaf - oregano & tomato especially in my yard. My soil is well-draining and I believe they get adequate water/sun.

So, 3 questions please:

1 - Are my potatoes ruined? I think they're a little smaller than baseball-sized now. They're Russets.

2 - Are oils (neem) more effective than insecticidal soaps? Or is something stronger best? I want it to be safe (I realize what I buy in store has most likely been treated with something). I've read so much now that I'm more confused than ever. It's all so contradictory. Also, where do you buy predatory mites?

3 - Will row covers/mesh-tulle netting help (for next time)?

I'm in Orange Cty, SoCal. It's been mostly 70-85 degrees for the last two months.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (6)