SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattpower_gw

transplanting apple trees (repost from trees forum)

mattpower
14 years ago

hey all,

hope I can get some help on the subject of transplanting apple trees.

In march of 2008 I planted two approx. 7-8 year old dwarf apple trees that had lived their lives in 50 gallon containers. A gala and a red delicious. I placed them in the far back of my garden (20x125 lot in brooklyn, ny. This is the northern end of the lot behind a row of houses, so I thought it would get the most light, but it's actually partially shaded by some very large maple trees a few yards over. I put out a light monitor recently, and it showed approx 3 hours of full intense sunlight a day, followed by several more hours of moderate light, then a few hours of low light. The first spring (08) they both set blossoms and grew quite vigorously over the summer. But both trees dropped all their fruit. This spring (09) they both leafed out, but only one, the gala, set blossoms and fruit. Several of the apples it set have fallen off, and only a couple look to be growing well. The trunk diameter is less than 2 inches on both of them, and they are 6-8 feet tall. I haven't pruned them at all yet.

Both of the trees are growing and leafing out quite well, but I planted them because I wanted apples! Because of the position of the neighboring maples, there are other spots in the garden that would get much more light (5-6 hours direct sun).

So my questions: are they not setting blossoms and fruit because of transplant stress, or insufficient light? Are they too big to be transplanted? Should they be pruned before transplanting? I know the transplant season is early spring, before bud swell but after the ground has thawed. In new york city, that would be march. Is there anything to do to prepare them for a transplant? How big of a root ball should be moved?

Or should I just be patient and give them more time to establish, and prune them where they are, or is the light there just too low for fruit production? And does a better spot with 5 hours of direct light offer more hope?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'd really like to get these trees going.

Matt

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations